Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,809   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Your favorite rapid fixer

I've been using the Arista Premium Odorless rapid fixer. It's important to me that my paper fixer doesn't smell, because I have such a small dark-closet.

It seems to me that ammonium thiosulfate is ammonium thiosulfate, so one might as well buy the cheapest fixer available. It seems that the only qualities to buy on are price, capacity, and keeping ability. If capacity and keeping ability are better between brands of fixers, the more expensive ones might end up being cheaper in the long run.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford Hypam/Ilford Rapid Fixer have been the only fixers I've used since the early 70's. Very economic if you use the 5 litre version, good capacity and keeps well.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used either NH 5 or Ilford Rapid Fixer since the mid 60's. 80% of it was NH 5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've concluded that TF-4 is a huge win over acid rapid fixers: shorter fixing times and easier washing.

The only thing is, it smells wrong. The smell of (acidic) rapid fixer takes me back to hanging out in my dad's darkroom as a kid; TF-4 just smells like ammonia.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nathan, the fixing and washing times for Hypam/Ilford Rapid fixer are short too

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Ilford Hypam/Ilford Rapid Fixer have been the only fixers I've used since the early 70's. Very economic if you use the 5 litre version, good capacity and keeps well.

Ian
    Everything Ian has said - except I am a bit of a light weight - I've only been using it since the late 70's

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Nathan, the fixing and washing times for Hypam/Ilford Rapid fixer are short too
    Oh, yeah, but not *as* short. Oh, and its capacity is a bit lower.

I'm squeezing my photography into the little corners of spare time in my life, so for me, the difference between fixing for 3 minutes and fixing for 5-6 minutes is larger than it might appear to those of us who don't have small children. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Amaloco X89 (the fixer formerly knows as X88), nearly odorless, very fast even with Tmax films, very economical.

It's a liquid concentrate, to be diluted 1+4 bis 1+9 - I always use 1+4, that fixes Tmax films within 90-120 seconds.

1 liter of concentrate is good for 110 films (or 65 T-Grain films), or for 500 sheets RC or 350 sheets Baryt 18x24cm. That is a little more than Ilford Rapid Fixer, but this soup costs about half of Ilford's fixer.
    Last edited by cmo; 06-28-2009 at 05:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Oh, yeah, but not *as* short. Oh, and its capacity is a bit lower.

-NT
    That's true TF-4's recommended capacity is less than Hypam's at a similar dilution.

Hypam 24 rolls 35mm film per litre / TF-4 20 rolls of film.
    Hypam 80 10x8 RC prints per litre / TF-4 60 10x8's
    Hypam 40 10x8 FB prints per litre / TF-4 30 10x8's

The recommended Fix times are identical for papers, and slightly longer for films with TF-4

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak's Flexicolor Fixer and Replenisher. Cheap as dirt and just as good, if not better than, Ilford's Hypam, Rapid Fixer, or any other B&W rapid fixer on the market. Yes, I know that the Kodak product is meant for the C41 process, but you are right about fixer being fixer. It needs to dissolve undeveloped silver halides and wash them from the emulsion. In that regard C41 is no different from B&W. $9 US buys you enough concentrate to make 5 gallons of working strength fixer. If you use it at half strength like I do, you get 10 gallons of working strength solution for that money. It has tremendous capacity. It is VERY rapid. Ph is nearly neutral, and it does not go bad quickly. I use it for everything. You cannot use it with a hardener, but no matter. There is very little call for hardening fixers with modern materials.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin