Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,545   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

TX400 35 mm vs 120 mm.

I have been taken photos with TX400 for a long time in 35 mm, and I am very pleased with it. I work at EI200, with HC110 (E= 1:47), 20ºC, for 6 minutes. When I develop it, I always make a pre-washed of 1 minute with water at the same temperature.
    Yesterday, I took some photos with TX400, 120 mm, with a Mamiya 645M that a friend of mine lent to me. I decided to work at EI200, since I guess it is the same film that I have been using with my 35 mm camera. However, when I made the pre-washed, I got a blue colour in the water that I had not ever gotten with TX400 35 mm. The final result was satisfactory.
    The question is: Are TX400 35 mm and TX400 120 mm the same film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Nothing wrong with that Henry, it's the antihalation layer that dissolved in the water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Alive View Post
    ....The question is: Are TX400 35 mm and TX400 120 mm the same film?
    Only Kodak ( and maybe PE) knows for sure. There has often been speculation on whether different sized films are the same base and/or emulsion; very few of us know. Some folks will get a slightly different dev time for one size than another, fueling the speculation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I occasionally develop TX400 35mm and 120 in the same roll-film tank at the same time with no problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

In my experience they are the same film but on different bases, which is not unusual I think?
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your answers. I am going to consider like they are the same film.
    Henry.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought 120 was always on a thinner base, on account of 35mm having sprocket holes and such.

The bluest film I've ever seen is Foma 400/Arista.EDU Ultra. The developer looks like Kool-aid when you pour it out, and the film retains a bright blue tint after processing.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, a common error: it's not 120 mm. It's 120. It's about 60 mm wide actually.

35mm film is code 135. 220 film is the same width as 120, but twice as long.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You know what's funny about that is that some store websites (B&H I think, for instance) list it as 120mm. I see it all over the place like that. Oh well, I guess people think it's similar to 35mm instead of the film code like 135.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kodachrome64 View Post
    You know what's funny about that is that some store websites (B&H I think, for instance) list it as 120mm. I see it all over the place like that. Oh well, I guess people think it's similar to 35mm instead of the film code like 135.
    Absolutely common! And entirely wrong

I see it a good percentage of the time.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin