Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,070   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Temp setting of the Freezer

I just read the recent thread here about old film in the freezer.
    This got me to thinking: All other things being equal, would it matter what setting the freezer was at? I'm just setting up another darkroom, and will have a small freezer for the film/paper in it as well. I've never dedicated a freezer strictly to my darkroom before. It was always in the "wife's freezer"

So...this thing's got setting 1 to 6, i.e. warmest to coldest. It does not have auto-defrost capability - just freeze. Would it help the longevity of the film if I had it on the coldest setting, or is the difference so minute as not to matter in the long run?

Thanks,
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The colder the better, within reason, although colder temperatures mean longer warmup times.

My chest freezer in the basement is set to -17 C (about 0 F). My refrigerator freezer upstairs is set to about -2 C (28 F).

I can't comment on how much longer your film will last with a colder freezer, but I know that storage is improved. Kodak (and others) do recommend -17 C-ish for long-term storage, if I remember my readings correctly.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...fo/e30/e30.pdf

-18 to -23 C for motion picture films, but I assume the storage properties of still photography films are very similar.

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    My refrigerator freezer upstairs is set to about -2 C (28 F).
    I'm assuming this is used for food? Isn't the recommended temp. zero degrees F or less?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What they said, around 0 F/ -17 C should be good, within reason.

Of course if you keep it at -40 it does not matter whether it is C or F!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I'm assuming this is used for food? Isn't the recommended temp. zero degrees F or less?
    Deep/chest freezers, yes, but refrigerator freezers are usually just below freezing. I doubt many can get to -17 C even if you wanted them to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys, especially Jim for looking up the numbers for me. This is a small freezer, but it's the "deep freeze" type, where it is a standalone freezer, no refrigerator part. It seems to get pretty cold, I have it on the middle setting right now as a test, but I might get a thermometer and play with the 1 - 6 settings and see what she can crank to. :-)
    I was more curious if the temp made any long term difference, or if there was a standard temp. from the film manufacturers to use.
    Jed

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As cold as you can get it - which in your case means "6".

I use this one and set the temperature control to coldest.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Deep/chest freezers, yes, but refrigerator freezers are usually just below freezing. I doubt many can get to -17 C even if you wanted them to.
    I guess I have to disagree. The zero degree (F) is for food safety reasons. Our freezer (top of fridge) maintains it nicely.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jed, it's too bad you're no longer in Alaska, you could have just thrown the film outside!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin