Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,304   Posts: 1,681,578   Online: 913

Shooter
    35mm

Best developer for Ilford 100 or Tri X?

Hi,

I've just started to take portraits (mainly daylight with a Nikon F100 & 85mm lens) & locally (UAE) can source both Delta 100 & Tri X film.

Any thoughts on what developer with give me the sharpest negs - by that I mean smallest grain.

Thanks & hi from the desert :-)

Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's kind of a misnomer. Developers that give "sharper" looking negs generally achieve that by having more dominant grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sharper negs doesn't mean more dominant grain at all. Try Perceptol diluted 1+3 very sharp with reduced grain.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Delta 100 is to fine grain as Tri-X is to lovely visible grain.

I think it would be wrong to force Tri-X to be something it's not. That said, Xtol 1:3 will minimize the grain of Tri-X and virtually eliminate any grain in Delta 100.

Different films for different things. It's all good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I have tried ilford delta 100 in perceptol and grain is almost invisible. But still I like it more in rodinal, grain is little bigger (I see this when using grain focuser while developing prints), but it looks sharper.

Here are examples in perceptol and rodinal (cheap canonscan scanner, paper scan):

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art/zg-19-59185256

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art/Cracow-3-125364290

Also you will find examples of trix in rodinal (no need to say which is my favorite developer ), and some other combination. I usually put film/developer info below picture.

Regards,

Shooter
    Large Format
    For 35mm portraits i've been a fan of Kodak Microdol-X at 1:1. It's been a looong time since i've used it but when I did, it was during my portrait phase.

My philosophy now is basically use whatever you have, know, or can find..
    Look for good light!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A dozen folks will provide a dozen different answers. For Delta 100 I like XTOL 1-3. Very fine grain and great sharpness up to 11x14 enlargements. When I shot Tri X I used D-76 1-1. I recently bought a bunch of the Arista Premium 400 (re-packaged Tri X) and will develop that in Xtol and compare it to older Kodak negs done in D-76.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin