Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,840   Online: 986

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    consider a red fiter and or a polarizer to change the unchanging blue (light grey) skies.
    and if so you may want faster film to cope with the filter factors.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The filter idea is a good one, although you might want to use a yellow filter to make the skies look natural. Orange and red filters will make the sky look dark and very dark, respectively, which is appropriate for some images but not for all. Yellow tends to make the skies look as you would expect them to look, and thus is a good everyday filter for outdoor black-and-white photography.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally, I find Pan-F with an orange filter to be the perfect 'sunny weather' film in medium format. Other people are right that it can sometimes be a bit tricky to develop, though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Don't go for a Red Filter - unless you want realy dark/almost black skies.

Like PhotoJim, I would go with a light and/or medium Yellow - it keeps the skies more natural

As with all hot places - it can get pretty dusty at times - so some Zip Lock Bags for your camera(s), film and equipment is a good idea together with lens wipes/camara wipes/cleaning brushes/...

Its also worth remembering, that the noon day sun in Egypt will be pretty much directly overhead and extremely harsh - which is generaly not regarded as the best light for most photographs - early morning and late evening are much better for general photography.

The quality of light at sunrise and sunset in that part of the world it terrific for buildings & landscapes but you will need a tripod/camera support

Have fun - its a terrific place

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of filters, and depending on the speed of film you decide to use, how about taking a neutral density filter, so you can open up the lens and throw the background out of focus on some shots?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Delta films are cubic core technology films so just make sure if you use them to be more careful with exposure and development times and tempertures if you want "optimal" performance...

Good luck and have a fantastic trip!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Its also worth remembering, that the noon day sun in Egypt will be pretty much directly overhead and extremely harsh - which is generaly not regarded as the best light for most photographs - early morning and late evening are much better for general photography.
    Yep, for locations like the pyramids and most anything outdoor, we are hitting these places early in the morning. Once we go to Alexandria, it will me mostly afternoon shooting.

I do have a Cokin filter system for my film cameras, so I can easily pick up a couple more filters for that.

I'm taking a promaster hybrid tripod with a monopod center column.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Admbws View Post
    Before you go, I would advise against travelling with too much gear. It will weigh you down. I recently travelled within the UK with just a Nikon FE2 and two lenses (24mm and 50mm, one on camera, one in pocket) and got some of the best photos I've ever taken!

Good luck, and have fun!
    I agree. I took my FM2n and 50/1.2, 28/3.5 and 135/2.8 to SE Asia. I would have been even happier with just the 50.
    Last edited by nocrop; 07-08-2009 at 07:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Photojim Delta 400 is the way to go. Delta 100 will probably be too contrasty. Delta 400 is my standard for 120 film and HP5 for 4x5. They are somewhat similar to Tri-x but better in my hands. A yellow or light orange filter to darken blues and perhaps a light green to darken reds.
    Jeffreyg

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest a film that you can pull easily. Previously I have used FP4, which can be usefully flexible in contrasty-light locations, most especially if you are doing your own developing.

The Lubitel is an unusual choice isn't it ? A triplet lens, rather unreliable shutter and not-so-good construction. At least take some black tape along to cover the back-door seal every time, as it would a pity to have problems with the increased strength of light managing to creep in. And yes, I did have a Lubitel of my own . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin