Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,579   Online: 912

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Trip to Egypt film question

Hello everyone,
    I'm getting ready to travel to Egypt for two weeks and I'm taking my digital gear, but I'm also taking a Canon Rebel 35mm and A Lubitel 166 Medium format TLR along.

I'm looking at B&W film to take on this trip and needing some suggestions. Situations will be mostly daylight, clear skies and landscapes. Possible some people, but primarily landscapes.

At this point I'm considering the Ilford Pan F 50 for the Medium format and Ilford Delta 100 for the 35mm.

Are these good choices? Are there other films I should consider? Should I stick with the same type of film for both the 35mm and the MF?

I appreciate your help in advance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you already have experience with these b&w films? If so, are you happy with them? In general, I would not think experimenting with unknown or unfamiliar film on possible once in a lifetime subjects is advisable.

I just got back from Kuwait and Dubai where it was bright and over 115 degrees, and I bet Egypt will be similar so I can bet you will encounter extremely bright and contrasty scenes. Not sure, but I bet 200 or higher speed film would handle the contrast better. Just guessing.

Sounds like a good trip and good luck.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another thing to consider is using fill flash if you plan on photographing people.I saw the results (bad) of someone who went to Egypt and shot a lot of film but didn't use Fill Flash.A whole lot of unrecognizable faces.

Shooter
    35mm
    Before you go, I would advise against travelling with too much gear. It will weigh you down. I recently travelled within the UK with just a Nikon FE2 and two lenses (24mm and 50mm, one on camera, one in pocket) and got some of the best photos I've ever taken!

Good luck, and have fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    take whatever film you're allready comfortable using.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. I have used the Ilford Delta 400 with some very excellent results even with using it at 800 speed. Good point about the experimentation though. I think I might stay in that 125-200 ISO to keep the flexibility. And yes, it's gonna be pretty much in the 100s the whole time we are there. I will have my flash along. With the film, I'm going in the direction of fine art as opposed to post processed photos. Possibly even some large transparency type stuff. hence, I was looking for the least amount of grain possible and good strong contrasts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a similar situation - am going to Italy for 10 days and decided to shoot only film. I decided on HP5+, which will be shot at ISO 200-320.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jakekenney View Post
    I have a similar situation - am going to Italy for 10 days and decided to shoot only film. I decided on HP5+, which will be shot at ISO 200-320.
    That sounds like a good range. Have you had experience with the HP5+ before

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not so hot if you keep it in metric. You shouldn't ever feel it above 50 degrees.

I like the films you propose shooting, but Pan-F Plus can be a bit contrasty if you don't develop it right. I've had great luck shooting it lately but I've been using it and its non-Plus predecessor since the late 1980s.

Ilford FP4 Plus or Delta 100 would be great films if you want the finer grain. Delta 400 will be great in lower light.

Definitely do your film tinkering at home where the images are less important. Once you are comfortable with a film, then take it somewhere far away and shoot it with confidence.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    It's not so hot if you keep it in metric. You shouldn't ever feel it above 50 degrees.

Definitely do your film tinkering at home where the images are less important. Once you are comfortable with a film, then take it somewhere far away and shoot it with confidence.
    Thanks Jim, I have about a week before I leave and I'm gonna pick up some film tomorrow to mess with. It's supposed to be sunny in Ohio (strange I know) all week, so the conditions are somewhat similar, but the sun light angle is still not the same

I am from Egypt though, I have seen these places before uncountable times. However, I was not a photographer then. So, now I look at things through a very different lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin