Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,521   Online: 1204

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No-one has mentioned the agitation techniques which differ between the Paterson System 4 and stainless steel devices. The Paterson system allows rotation of the reel in a horizontal orientation, steel reels are usually agitated by helical vertical inversion. I find that the Paterson system is fluid tight, I usually use gloves for steel reel and tank inversion, i.e. they can be slightly leaky.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look, there's really nothing magic about agitation. All that's required is the replace exhausted developer in contact with the film with fresh developer. How you get there is not really important. How often you get there is. Using the agitation rod with Paterson and similar tanks works fine for me. I never have a proble with uneven development.With SS tanks, inversion is the only reliable option.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Look, there's really nothing magic about agitation. All that's required is the replace exhausted developer in contact with the film with fresh developer. How you get there is not really important. How often you get there is. Using the agitation rod with Paterson and similar tanks works fine for me. I never have a proble with uneven development.With SS tanks, inversion is the only reliable option.
    Frank, I actually had a case of problematic development using the rod. I can't say that I'm 100% sure, but can't find any other reason. The first time I developed a film was with 4 more from others. We used a 5 reel AP tank and the agitation rod. After printing I noticed that many frames had a low density streak. It was parallel to the long side of the frame, so it could be caused by the flow when using the rod. I suspected that it was the culprit and never used it again (inversion after that). Never had that problem again. Being low density streak at the print means high at the negative. So, I assume it was caused by increased flow at that place. It certainly is speculation, but can't find a better theory. Go figure...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can see where twist agitation can be problematic with 4 reels in a 5 reel tank. There's a lot of inertia in that volume of solution to overcome with only the agitation rod. I'd be inclined to use inverse agitation with something that large myself. My largest plastic tank holds only 3 reels of 35mm or two of 120 size, and holds at least 750 ml. less solution than your much larger tank did. I also agitate very vigorously, probably more so than most people would consider prudent. Those two factors are likely the reasons why I've not suffered any uneven development problems.
    Frank Schifano

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin