Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,496   Online: 974

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Edge Fog, loading 120 film into camera

I have trouble loading film 120 format into my cameras. I always seem to get edge fog, sometimes right into the frame, which ruins the neg. I keep the roll tight, I think, and load in "subdued light" as the instructions say. How subdued is "subdued light"? The fog is at the start of the film so I know it is when I load.
    Does anyone else have this problem, any hints? Don't really want to carry a changing bag as some of my cameras are tricky to load. My 120 cameras are Pentax 645, Voigtlander Bessa 1, roll film backs for Linhof and Graflex.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I carry a small changing bag when shooting with my Diana's and Holga's, but haven't had this problem with my Hasselblad or Mamiya 7II.

A changing bag is your best solution.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you take the removable sealing label off before or after you put the roll into the back or insert or feed area?

You can put the roll in first, and with some cameras, it makes a real difference.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, "subdued light" means I make sure I am at least casting a shadow over the camera and film when loading and unloading. I can't remember when I had any edge fogging problems.
    Is this occurring with every camera? What films?
    Generally the begining of the roll would be the least likely place, since the roll is presumably factory tight.
    Are you sure it's not occurring in processing?

Shooter
    35mm
    I reload my TLR and folder in broad daylight and never had any problems, with PlusX, Neopan 400 or Foma 400. FWIW, I think it's possible to do even in "non-subdued light".
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really crazy of its happening with all your 120 cameras. What film are you using?

Outdoors I would load in the shade somewhere, never a problem. Usually only use Kodak or Ilford.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    645 can be tricker the 66 or 67 as generally they are use an insert and the film is folded backward to fit the insert. It is very easy for the feed spool to loosen while the take up is being threaded. When I had 645 I'd feed out enough of the backing to start the take up. Then place a rubber band around the feed spool. This would keep it tightly bound and eliminated edge fog for me.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using TMax 100 and FP4plus 125. I would have thought turning your back on sunlight was enough. I must be letting the roll unwind, but I do try to keep it tight. But it happens almost evry film, straight out of the foil package.
    MattKing's idea may work in my cameras.

Anyone else have the problem?? Any other ideas??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you'd have to work at getting the roll to unwind that much. I assume you aren't winding beyond the start arrows in the light, and you're lining up the arrows to the proper place on whatever holder/camera. From what you've described, the problem may more likely be in processing. Do you shoot any color, if so do commercially processed color films have the same problem?
    Are you willing to sacrifice a roll and process it straight out of the box?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Loading my Rolleicord, I slit the paper sticker 3/4 of the way across before putting film in camera. As I finish cutting the sticker [with thumbnail], I keep one thumb or finger pushing lightly on the film roll, so the paper can't loosen. As I feed the paper to the take-up spool, I always have a finger or thumb on the film roll. My friction digit comes off the film only just before I close the camera's back.

Subdued light - yes, but no more than turning my back to the sun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin