Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,717   Online: 943

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I agree with David as I have also had good luck with the Nikor. When I started using it I knew of many who absolutely hated it so I tracked down as many users as I could and found a number of old timers that have used it for decades. I think it is much like steel vs. plastic reels for 35mm. There are many that never seem to get comfortable with steel that love the plastic reels and then there are others like me that love steel reels as being easier. Search the photo.net archives for several good threads on "Nikor 4x5".

All that being said I wouldn't pay the $100.00 or so that I have seen them going for. BTW I use a rubber band as I never got the steel band so don't worry if it is missing.

The Beseler tank sounds good but the tried and true cheap tank is the Unicolor with motor base. Greywolf wrote up a great how-to of this method but I can't offhand remember where it is posted. I would recommend the Unicolor tanks also and sometimes still use it.

Bob

Hi,
    Thanks for your kind suggestions.

I still have question about the Nikor tank. Should I dry the the film hanging in the reel? Does it become curled?

HP Combi tank seems easier loading and keep films straight. But I see comments that the chemical draining is too slow.
    Best wishes,
    Marcel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using the Unicolor tank for processing as described by Greywolf (it's on the largeformatphotography web page) and have had great success with it. The plus side is that it takes a minimal amount of chemicals(I use 250ml. of each) where my Yankee Dev. Tank takes (I think) 1600ml.
    Brian McDowell

Quote Originally Posted by marcelwu
    . Should I dry the the film hanging in the reel? Does it become curled?
    I have never tried to dry on the nikor as there are so many cracks and crevices to hold fluid that it is almost assured to cause drips and spots on the film. But I haven't dried 35mm on stainless reels for the same reason and some do it all the time.

Bob

Hi BobF,

Thanks for your reply.

Should you explain how to dry the film? Use Kodak film hanger? It seems impossible to use clip as with 35mm film.
    Best wishes,
    Marcel

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Should you explain how to dry the film? Use Kodak film hanger? It seems impossible to use clip as with 35mm film.
    Marcel,
    I dry sheet film all the time with wooden clothes pins and let them air dry over night. Just hang them by one corner and use very little of the surface.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Lee, is there something else that people use? I thought that clothes pins were mandatory in the darkroom - Ok, do have some of them new plastic ones, but got the old wood ones too! (grin!)
    Mike C

Rambles

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    there used to be some metal hooks but I am not sure if they are still available. Arlington Camera may have something else. I don't know. Many people tend to over think things like this. It ain't "rocket medicine".

lee\c

Quote Originally Posted by marcelwu
    I use plastic clothes pins on a line, very high tech. Actually I have sanded the tips to a finer edge and put holes through the end so I guess you could call them custom made poly clips. Same way I hang RC prints to dry.

Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use Ansel's clothespin trick. Take a regular wooden clothespin with a spring and turn the two wooden pieces around so that they clasp at the handle end rather than at the traditional clasp end. The handle end already has a finer edge than the regular end, so less surface to contact the film, but still quite secure.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin