Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,953   Online: 1092

Shooter
    Multi Format

70mm Rolling jig...

I am planning on shooting some 70mm stock in my Hasselblad, have the back and a total of 4 cassettes and one take up spool.

The film has to be in 220 length for dr5 process so I plan to cut the 20 foot rolls into 4 / 220 lengths and load them into cassettes right away, probably still store them in a dark bag until used.

So I figure since I am going make about 40 rolls of this 220, it might be a good idea to craft up a rolling jig. I am going to do this in my darkroom, so the jig could be a simple tensioner / spooling station.

Any slick ideas for this job?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My question back would be would the 70mm spools need the film wound emulsion out or emulsion in, and can you use the bit of tape from the 220 backing paper?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would keep it as simple as possible:

A mount with a spindle to take the 70mm film reel, mounted on top of a table. Two leaf springs attached to the mount inclined in that way that they press only on the rims of the spool, thus avoiding any scratching of the film whilst working as a tensioner, or rather brake, for the rotation of the reel.
    An end stop mounted in the appropriate distance on the table too.
    That’s it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want to get all fancy, look into a fishing rod building thread holder/tensioner, turn it on the side to hold the 220 raw roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys.

The thing of it is, this is not being loaded onto a 220 roll but in the cassette of a Hasselblad 70mm back which can hold up to 15 feet of film. It has to be no more than 5 feet or 220 long as that is the maximum length dr5 can do in their process.

Each one of 10 - 70mm bulk rolls is 20 feet long and therefore can be cut up into 4 even lengths of 5 feet / 220.

I think what will have to happen is that I roll the first set manually by making a 5 foot jig to measure the film out in the dark, use anti-static tape and simply load them in the cassettes. After I do the first one, I will have the empty bulk reel to make the tensioner set with.

I think this will be pretty simple once I do the first set....
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I figured that out now. Which 70mm stock are you planning to shoot and process in dr5? Hmmm?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin