Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,559   Online: 820

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: out of date?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJake View Post
    i was more talking about about when places like freestyle sell off film that expired a month or two ago. sounds like that's probably ok more often than not.

what can i say, i'm a cheap skate.
    It's ok far more often than not. Freestyle is not a fly by night operation and is in business to stay in business. They have a reputation to protect. It stands to reason that they're not about to ruin that reputation with shady business practices. If there were to sell something that might be a bit dodgy, I'd expect to see a full disclosure statement from them.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i was more talking about about when places like freestyle sell off film that expired a month or two ago. sounds like that's probably ok more often than not.

what can i say, i'm a cheap skate.
    Fyi, freestyle doesn't refrigerate expired films they've got in the store. It may be different in the warehouse but I've seen stuff like 8x10 infrared sitting around there for months with a 50% off tag. The store also doesn't cold store b+w sheet films and many off-brand b+w films like efke and foma. I don't see why when their fridge has plenty of empty space. The last time I bought polaroid type 669 they pulled it from under the counter. When I asked why it wasn't cold stored they said "it doesn't need to be". Again, it may be different in the warehouse.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    mmmmm... airport sandwiches...

anyway, i'm certainly not taking any super expensive alaskan cruises anytime soon, i can barely afford the expired film

since i'm just getting back into film i'm really just trying to get the hang of it while spending the least amount of money possible. but like i said before, i'm pretty much set on using fp4+ and DD-X for a while, and not jumping around to whatever film and developer is on special.
    The problem with expired film is that it's a little like a box of chocolates, your never really sure what your going to get. If it was stored well, and it's a slower film like FP4+, with a rather conservative expiry date, you should be okay, but if the film was stored a little warmer then it should be, it's a little faster, maybe the expiry date was a little optimistic, then you could get a lot of base fog. Remember re-shoots will cost more then using a good quality film in the first place.

If your ordering film online, then remember the first rule of shipping, the first 1lb is the most expensive, it's not uncommon where the first 1lb is $20 and the second 1lb is $0.20, so when ordering film, you don't want to order just a few rolls at a time, because you will spend a lot on shipping. So order 20 rolls or 30 rolls, and pop it into the deep freeze. Take out the film today, you will use Monday so that it warms up nicely. If your a low volume shooter like I am, take out 1 or 2 rolls at a time. Same goes for paper.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Freestyle is not a fly by night operation and is in business to stay in business. They have a reputation to protect. It stands to reason that they're not about to ruin that reputation with shady business practices.
    Back in the 1970's Freestyle based a large part of their business on outdated film. They had a two page ad every month in Popular Photography with lots of film and paper, and a disclaimer at the bottom that "items not marked "fresh" are outdated but fully guaranteed" I believe that they were getting a lot of material as Government surplus in those days. I recall one purchase I made as "Plus-X Areo ASA 80" which had no markings and no anti-halo. but it was 3.95 for 100 ft, when fresh Tri-x in the store was about 20 bucks. I assumed that they had converted it themselves from 5 inch wide stock.

These days they seem be concentrating on their private label stock and the wildest they get is parallel imports.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I worked as a lab manager at KMart, we often had film on the shelf that expired; often it was simply because the amount supplied to us was way too much for what we sold. The temperature in the store was always consistent, and the lab faced away from any windows.

I used to rotate the stock whenever we got new stuff in, but sometimes the supply outweighed the demand. Quite simply, the customer got some great deals. Yes, it doesn't "go off" the day after, but I'd mark the stuff down 20% to start it moving the day after the expiry date. Even then, it would sometimes take a couple of weeks to clear. And for those rolls that didn't move, free for the staff after being "written off".

As long as it has been kept out of the sun and the temperature has been consistent and not extreme, you should be fine with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the Efke and Foma sheet films don't have the same sealed envelopes that Kodak has, so the condensation that could form on the film sheets could be harmful for the film. Just a theory, but it's the same theory that's the reason I store my own film in the freezer in double zip lock bags. Same for paper, but they go in the fridge mostly.

I used to try expired film and paper a lot, and according to wogster's advice earlier, I wasted a lot of time. Now I have a ton of portfolios that I need to reprint because I went cheap before, because there is no consistency to it unless you know exactly how it was stored (just like Ian says).

With that said, a couple of months past expiration will do nothing to Ilford Fp4+ film. To some extent I agree with Ralph's sentiment earlier that the best we can do to the film industry is to buy fresh film. There is some old film that will not get used if we all follow this advice, but perhaps that's not the end of the world? What you can count on by buying fresh is consistent results with regard to negative contrast, grain, and base fog. It assures quality in your work that you may not afford to pursue if you really care about your art. Then again, some artists like different treatment for different series, so if you find a batch of 50 or 100 rolls for cheaps, perhaps it would still be worth it. Unless it's airport sandwiches.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Fyi, freestyle doesn't refrigerate expired films they've got in the store. It may be different in the warehouse but I've seen stuff like 8x10 infrared sitting around there for months with a 50% off tag. The store also doesn't cold store b+w sheet films and many off-brand b+w films like efke and foma. I don't see why when their fridge has plenty of empty space. The last time I bought polaroid type 669 they pulled it from under the counter. When I asked why it wasn't cold stored they said "it doesn't need to be". Again, it may be different in the warehouse.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin