Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,933   Posts: 1,557,014   Online: 1172

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: out of date?

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

out of date?

what actually happens when film is past it's date? is it ok to buy past date film to same some $$ ? or does it really start deteriorating.

i've seen some shots taken with old film and they seem fine. is there something else i should know.
    -Jake

Photography by the seat of my pants.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends entirely on how it's been stored.

All manufacturers cut their expiry dates a few years ago to meet ISO 9001? I think that's the right one, but it meant higher quality controls.

Outdated films are fine as long as you know how they've been stored, I buy short dated rather than outdated

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

As long as it does not get hot and it is not too old, in all likelihood you want see mch of a drop off in film speed. But seriously aged film or film kept in a sauna can slow right down by stops.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    i was more talking about about when places like freestyle sell off film that expired a month or two ago. sounds like that's probably ok more often than not.

what can i say, i'm a cheap skate.
    -Jake

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's going to be fine

Cheapskate

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJake View Post
    i was more talking about about when places like freestyle sell off film that expired a month or two ago. sounds like that's probably ok more often than not.

In general slower films age slower then fast films, cold stored film, will last longer then film that is stored at warmer temperatures. A dealer like Freestyle, your probably okay, just keep it in the freezer until the day before you want to use it.

Now for economy here is what I have discovered in more then 30 years of shooting:

Get really good at 1 or 2 films, say one 100 speed and one 400 speed, use the same chemistries all the time, use a consistent process. Buy good quality film that is not expired, put it in the deep freeze. Keep your camera and darkroom equipment in good repair. Learn how to properly focus and select an exposure so that you don't produce unusable negatives. Buy good quality paper that keep that in the freezer as well, and use the same chemistries and process. Use a scanner or contact sheet so you don't waste time printing negatives that you don't want to print right now.

How to waste more money then the military:

Buy different films all the time, and lots of expired stuff, experiment with the developer de jour, go cheap when it comes to equipment maintenance, let the camera select focus and exposure, and print everything on cheap oft expired paper, using the process of the week. You end up producing a lot of crappy prints and redoing a lot of work all the time. You end up machine gun shooting a lot of the time, and most of it is garbage.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    wogster,

that's good advice i plan on using. i've chosen ilford fp4 and dd-x as my film/developer combo and plan on sticking with it for a while, probably until i move up to medium format sometime later this year (and i might still stick with the same film). but if i can get the film i want a month past date for a couple bucks less i'm probably going to jump on it.

thanks again, it's nice to hear that i'm on the right path (as far as picking something to work with and sticking with it for a while).
    -Jake

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJake View Post

Spending hundreds or more on equipment and saving a few bucks on film and chemistry... Isn't this purchasing behavior what is killing off the film companies in the first place?

Just a thought.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    maybe... the film i just bought wasn't cheap or expired, so this thread is more theory than practice anyway.

i think the digital purchasing behavior is more responsible than me saving a couple of bucks on film.

and in all reality i haven't spent very much on equipment either. and really, when the rubber meets the road i'm generally more likely to spend less on the equipment and then not cheap out on the film and chemicals. for example i'm only have one lens for my nikon and i'm spending my other money on inford film and chemicals (not past date ftr). the question i posed was more about my curiosity than anything else.
    -Jake

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    How to waste more money then the military:

Buy different films all the time, and lots of expired stuff, experiment with the developer de jour, go cheap when it comes to equipment maintenance, let the camera select focus and exposure, and print everything on cheap oft expired paper, using the process of the week. You end up producing a lot of crappy prints and redoing a lot of work all the time. You end up machine gun shooting a lot of the time, and most of it is garbage.
    HaHaHaHa

Well put.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin