Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,106   Online: 731

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

DK-25R with teaspoon method

Does anyone have a volume-based recipe for DK-25R?

I just mixed up some D23 using 2 level teaspoons of metol and 4 level tablespoons of Sodium Sulfite in a liter of water. I

I can't find a recipe for DK-25R, however, and I don't know how dense sodium metaborate is.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    !0 gms metol, same sodium sulfite, 15 gms Kodalk. I use 1 TBS metol (10.5 gms) and 1 TBS - 1/8 tsp of Kodalk to make my DK25R. Been doing it for years. As we say here in Northern Virginia, "Close 'nuff fur gummint work."

I am down to my last jar of Kodalk before going to Sodium Metaborate.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Does anyone have a volume-based recipe for DK-25R?

I just mixed up some D23 using 2 level teaspoons of metol and 4 level tablespoons of Sodium Sulfite in a liter of water. I

I can't find a recipe for DK-25R, however, and I don't know how dense sodium metaborate is.
    By the way, the old darkroom rats would make up "D23" by just mixing an ounce of metol to a pound of sodium sulfite in a gallon of water.

It's a couple ounces heavy on the sulfite, but for souping with D23 1:1 or 1:3 I can't imagine it would make much difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that the volume / weight values can vary by +/- 10% depending on batch of chemistry due to crystal type. This means that you may get powder from one company and large crystals from another. So, to be a "real" photographer scratch mixing chemistry, volumetric measure is the worst way to get good results.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't want to mix up a whole gallon, though. I actually only had wine bottles so I mixed up 750mL, which made the math a bit tricky.

1.5tsp. metol, 3tbsp. SS. to make 750mL D-23

Then I mixed up 333mL of DK-25R

1 tsp metol, 1.5 tsp kodalk, 4tsp SS to make 333mL DK-25r.

I should really get a scale, but all the electronic kitchen scales only go to +/- 1g.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you wish to do scratch mixes, you need a scale or balance accurate to 0.1 gram. I suggest you use that to damp out your variability from batch to batch or to use off the shelf chemistry.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone suggest a starting time for Tri-X at 250? It's hard to find data for D-23; there's only one entry in the MDC and I don't trust the MDC.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Anyone suggest a starting time for Tri-X at 250? It's hard to find data for D-23; there's only one entry in the MDC and I don't trust the MDC.
    I have long used eight minutes at 68 F at EI 200. It gives a good, gutsy neg with loads of shadow detail, good highlight separation, and still printable highlights. In a very contrasty light--if high tones are important, you might wish to cut back a bit--otherwise, let 'em fall where they may. I use standard ASA agitation.

Regarding P.E.s comments. I agree with him. But I mostly use all the same few chemicals and, just for kicks, I check my spoon measurements against a scale once in a while. I have a powder scale for reloading ammunition: it is accurate to 1/10 grain. Biggest problem for this math-challenged former history major is converting those @#$ grains to grams (groan).

Shooter
    35mm
    I used eight minutes for my first roll. The negs look pretty good so far; plenty of density. I mis-spooled them on the reel again though and lost the last foot of my roll. I have the hardest time with 35mm film.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=Anscojohn;826431 Biggest problem for this math-challenged former history major is converting those @#$ grains to grams (groan).[/QUOTE]

Use Google!

You can type conversions into the search engine and let Google do the conversion for you. For example, type "convert 50 grains to grams" and click on search and Google will return with "50 grains = 3.2399455 grams". Easy!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin