Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,744   Posts: 1,515,600   Online: 953

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Picked up a box at my local Sobey's (national grocery chain).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    Peter,

What is confectioner's sugar?
    Can fresh baker's yeast, that comes in little paper wrapped cubes, be used too?
    It's a hell of a fight these ants...

Philippe
    Confectioner's sugar = powdered, white fluffy stuff you use for cake icing.

Baker's yeast is no good. Brewer's yeast is sometimes called Nutritional Yeast. Full of B vitamins.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Baker's yeast is no good. Brewer's yeast is sometimes called Nutritional Yeast. Full of B vitamins.
    They both cause fermentation, Bakers Yeast and Brewers yeast are the same species of yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but over the years the brewing strains have become more effective at tolerating and continue fermenting at higher alcohol levels.

Bit like comparing a chow to an alsatian

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    They both cause fermentation, Bakers Yeast and Brewers yeast are the same species of yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but over the years the brewing strains have become more effective at tolerating and continue fermenting at higher alcohol levels.

Bit like comparing a chow to an alsatian

Ian
    Baker's yeast also causes very cloudy beer/wine, or at least I've been told.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Yes, confectioner's sugar is the powdered stuff. The brewer's yeast is available in health food stores or health food sections of some groceries. As Akki14 said, it full of vitamin B and is used as a nutritional supplement.

The ants will carry the foodstuff mixed with borax back to their nests. Reportedly it is the dehydrating action of the borax that does the trick.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Baker's yeast also causes very cloudy beer/wine, or at least I've been told.
    I once made some raisin jack with it - it was quite cloudy, but that may have also had been due to some of the other ingredients. Unfortunately it was fairly undrinkable - it smelled a lot like methanol and/or isopropanol and gave me a killer headache after a glass

Anyway, back on topic, not sure why you can't find borax - thus far it's been most places I've looked here in Winnipeg.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remove what the ants want. That will stop the ants. They don't go hunting around in packs unless something has already been scouted out.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Remove what the ants want. That will stop the ants. They don't go hunting around in packs unless something has already been scouted out.
    I know how to stop them, rip out my front window and reinstall it properly. This would be tough though, as I rent.

There is a huge nest in the front yard, so I was figuring this mix would take care of the nest, and no more ants in the house. Bigger problems right now as we are into the forth week of a garbage strike, so flies are a bigger problem right now :rolleyes:
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Bigger problems right now as we are into the forth week of a garbage strike, so flies are a bigger problem right now :rolleyes:
    Jeez, that stinks.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Jeez, that stinks.
    Especially when you don't have a car, and can't take your growing collection to the nearest dumpsite.....:rolleyes:
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin