Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,293   Online: 807

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Different tools for different purposes.

Anything else stated is just trolling for arguments.

...but as film users we are all on the same side, if we can't get the best out of film we all might as well get a digital P&S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    ****Lots of photographers get pretty good results out of 35mm B&W negatives, as long as you work within the limits of the size of the material. For example in over 30 years I have never wanted an enlargement larger then 11x14, 35mm is capable of producing decent 11x14 enlargements with fine grain films and developers. Not to mention that 35mm is the most portable, and cheapest film system to work with. As someone who most of the time uses a bicycle or hiking when shooting, loading down with 20kg of MF equipment is often not an option.***

Well I've had my share of B/W 35mm (and cheap cameras for other sizes) from about 1952-1975, and in the darkroom tiny dust spots and scratches were a curse when enlarging, and just can't go back........and I can remember when the press used Rolleiflexes, so maybe something like a Ricoh equivalent could be carried around at times (with a 35mm camera) for static shots in B/w (or colour).
    I'll agree that dust and scratches can be an issue, they can with larger formats as well. However anyone who has spent 5 hours spotting a sky from a APS-C sized DSLR (been there, done that) will think of even 35mm as relatively dust free.... Man those DSLR's can collect more dust in 5 seconds, then a 35mm camera does in 5 years.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    shoot rollei 25, or efke 25, or PANF and develop in D-76, dont print larger than 8x10 or possibly 11x14 and youll be fine on grain

Shooter
    35mm
    QUOTE=Nikanon;827628]shoot rollei 25, or efke 25, or PANF and develop in D-76, dont print larger than 8x10 or possibly 11x14 and youll be fine on grain[/QUOTE]

Well using 35mm b/w today, reminds me of the early 1960's when I couldn't afford MF, colour neg was naff compared to today, and would have used kodachrome most of the time if I had the money.
    The only reason I can see for using 35mm B/W is say for rock concerts, pushing the film and no problems with artificial lights, but DSLR guys have told me low light shots with digital are superior and improving all the time.
    To use 35mm B/W for buildings, landscapes or portraiture is an insult to the film when MF is cheap now, but if guys want to be in a special time warp who am I to say they are wrong.

Ok so I’m rusty developing a B/W neg, but I just use an old Digital P&S and get a better result for a computer screen in about a minute.….so this is what film users are up against and the 35mm digital guys can boast on their IQ, but MF B/W (or colour) can shut them up.

Sony P&S, dunno if used at best setting, but it did at least equal the film shot for sharpness.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 20x30 print from a 35mm negative shot with a Contax RTS III, Yashica 50mm f/2, and Technical Pan developed in Rodinal that shows no grain at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin