Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,544   Online: 1014

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but you should probably consider how long a strip with fit on your developing reels. You want to make sure you can develop the film without problems.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic amateur View Post
    Unless it's a stray hair stuck in the shutter gate.
    Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why I'm keen about "NO MORE" cats after our last one bit the dust. Took me a while to figure out why I had that wavy line in my slides. I took them back to the processor and the first thing he ask was if I had the camera with me. Lesson learned! Need I say more? JohnW

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Because of the possibility of scratching I never use one. Why take the risk?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When I used bulk 35mm film it used to work out under half price than factory loads. The saving from the 1st bulk roll paid for the bulk loader, 1/2 price from then on. Never scratched any film so didn't see a risk. And, while there's many post about how many frames you can jam on a roll, I liked rolling 30's as it fit a 8x10 proof sheet nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are so many opportunities to scratch your film that learning how to prevent scratches is important. Bulk loading is no more of a problem than loading film in a tank, in a negative carrier, keeping the camera inside clean, etc. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There is no possibility of scratching with a Watson and velvet less cassette like a FILCA. That was how it was done before the 135/235/435 DIN. You would be unlucky but you can get scratches with a factory load velvet cassette.

Many camera suppliers offered velvet less cassettes, Zeiss, Canon, Leitz, Nikon, Nicca, FSU,...

There is a greater risk of dust.

You can use cine film which is cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To add another anecdotal data point (keep in mind the saying "anecdotes are not data"), I used a Watson and both plastic and metal cartridges all through high school without getting any scratches over several hundred feet.

I wasn't a super clean freak back then but did always blow out the cartridges and ruffled up the light traps before loading. I also never tried to overload, it just seems to be asking for trouble to force feed film into a tight package and not expect binding and extra pressure to take its toll.

And so in summary: I blew out before setting up the load and I never forced or spooled more film than was designed to fit in the dubious pursuit of "just that one more frame, c'mon!" Seriously, carry one extra roll and that makes up for up to eight cartridges crammed with more frames and the additional stresses that may or may not cause problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92100.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	78726

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd rather see scratching as a risk than a possibility.. However, things done right, scratching is most unlikely to happen.

JF.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    I have bulk loaded for 40+ years. I use a Jobo loader and have no experience with other types. IMHO it is easier than loading film in any type of spool, plastic or stainless.

I get 18, sometimes 19 rolls of 36-frame out of 100 ft. I'd recommend rolling your film to suit the sleeves you use for your negs, and your tank spools. Many tank spools will hold no more than 36-frame rolls, and then only if the leader is not too long.

With practice you will learn exactly how many turns it takes to roll the number of frames you want.

My loader has a felt light seal; I have never had any issues with dust. I keep the loader inside a plastic bag, and take it out of the bag just for loading.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have use Watson for over 40 years saves a lot on film. The Watson works ok there my be a better one today, but mine is pay for is self 40 years ago.
    Note the new camera uses a DX coding so if you some other than 100 ASA save the canister for the DX code they will work too. Some the new camera may not take over 36 shoots. I have Pentax, and it will only take 36 and you will finding a developing reel for over 36 shoots (note when I did I use a adj spool for 35Mm to 220 film)
    The best new it does save a lot on film cost over the years around 30 to 40 rolls out a 100FT spool of film. I also like as I can make a 6 shoot roll.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by anjo View Post
    I'm considering buying a bulk film loader from AP. I have two questions:

1) Is it idiot proof? I don't want to end up spending $100 on the loader and bulk film just to find out I can't manage to use it. I can load plastic reels with no problem, but I had "issues" with the stainless ones.

2) It would be pretty sweet to get 42 exposures on one roll (thus utilizing my negative preservers to the max). Is that possible?
    Last edited by smithdoor; 12-22-2013 at 04:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin