Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,705   Online: 892

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Loading bulk film

I'm considering buying a bulk film loader from AP. I have two questions:

1) Is it idiot proof? I don't want to end up spending $100 on the loader and bulk film just to find out I can't manage to use it. I can load plastic reels with no problem, but I had "issues" with the stainless ones.

2) It would be pretty sweet to get 42 exposures on one roll (thus utilizing my negative preservers to the max). Is that possible?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) I have Kaiser's loader, the same as AP. I think it is pretty much fool proof, it works great. I found a few tutorials online doing it the first time.

2) 42 exp on single roll is unwise imo (probably not possible), you can have lots of scratches or you cans might pop unexpectedly.
    It might create too much tension for winding motor or manual winding mechanism.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good to hear. What's the maximum number of exposures recommended?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Don't try to go beyond 40 - even if your camera supports it. What's the maximum count of your camera?

If you don't want to waste money, calculate prics before you bulk load. In many cases it is cheaper to buy ready-made films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anjo View Post
    I'm considering buying a bulk film loader from AP. I have two questions:

1) Is it idiot proof? I don't want to end up spending $100 on the loader and bulk film just to find out I can't manage to use it. I can load plastic reels with no problem, but I had "issues" with the stainless ones.

2) It would be pretty sweet to get 42 exposures on one roll (thus utilizing my negative preservers to the max). Is that possible?
    I have bulk loaded since the mid-1960s. I have never owned a bulk loader. Since some bulk loaders require the user to ruin several frames if used in daylight, getting the max number of useable exposures might be problematical. If your does that, you can do it all in the darkroom. If then, why bother with the bulk loader?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Long films don't fit well [or at all] on my Paterson developing reels. I try to keep to 36 exposures. I also prefer to spool without a bulk loader. Consider that the last frame is almost certainly fogged when loading. I found that frustrating.
    Last edited by Larry.Manuel; 07-14-2009 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: seppling error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find I bulk load for about twenty frames on a roll, as I don't 'machine gun' my shots and don't like having half finished rolls hanging around.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    The model I'm looking at is supposed to not fog the last few frames in daylight, but I must say that loading by hand seems much better (read: cheaper). Didn't even know it was possible. What are the mechanics like? I honestly have no clue how any of this is done. Do you just take a suitable length of bulk film, attach it to the spool somehow (buil-in clip? tape?), and then just wind? Then you plop it in the casing, and somehow pull out the leader?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's a short video of me explaining how to load the Jessops bulk loader, which I believe is also the AP Bobinquick loader.

Shooter
    35mm
    Many types of bulkloaders can scratch the film if there are small
    grains in their felt. If this happens, then the whole lot of 19 films
    or so get the scratches. The Alden and Watson bulkloaders
    don't have this problem, but they waste a lot of film also at
    the end. I don't know if there are others which are safe in
    this sense, too. I started to bulkload without bulkloader.
    The only thing you need is an absolutely dark room. With
    a little bit of practice, you can load a 100 ft reel onto 19
    cartridges in half an hour.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin