Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 971

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shanghai 4x5 film; thickness?

I'm wonderiing wether to punt on some shanghai 4x5 film. It's less than half normal B&W film.

One thread says it is thin. If you use it can you measure the thickness accurately for me please? Is it the same size as FP4 and TMax?

I'm used to FP4+ and TMax 100. So what are the characteristics of the shanghai...do we like it???

Cheers and thanks...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one uses Shanghai 4x5 film???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Era 100 4x5, but not seen Shanghai. The 120 Shanghai film is certainly thin.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought 10 rolls of it in 120 and it is ok. The main issues with it in 120 are the thick backing paper, and how bad it curls. I have had that stuff hang, weighted, for a week and still curl like the Dickens when I took the weights off.

I have thought about getting some for my 4x5, but as I got a pack of FP4+ the other week I will be working on that first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some of the Shanghai in 5x7, and it is fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ive used it no problems i bought if as practice material to learn LF (4x5) and having played with it a bit i see no reason to use any thing else and ive just bought some 5x7 for my "new" ansco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. I'll give it a try. cheers Davidst

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I did the same as David. I bought some Shanghai GP3 in 4x5 to learn on, but liked it enough to pick up a couple hundred sheets. It's available from Isaac Chen on ebay and after shipping it ends up being $100 CDN for 125 sheets to my door in Canada. I find it has a bit of a Plus-X feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by david_mizen View Post
    ive used it no problems i bought if as practice material to learn LF (4x5) and having played with it a bit i see no reason to use any thing else and ive just bought some 5x7 for my "new" ansco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Shanghai GP-3 in 120 and like it alot. I don't think the thickness of the sheet film will present any problems. I am planing to buy some 4x5 in the near future, let us know how you like it if you buy some.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Feels similar to 4x5 velvia to me. Maybe just a hair thinner, but not noticeable unless you compare two sheets side by side like I just did.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin