Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1129
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    40
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Sandy,

    Due to Pyrocat-HD's oxidization properties I presume a 1:10 dilution 2 bath process is still for one-shot use?

    Tom
    According to Pyrocat as Two-Bath Developer at http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/html/MixingPyrocats.html, "Both Solution A and Solution B can be re-used several times within a three-four hour period but should be discarded at the end of a development session as they will go bad in about 10-12 hours. "

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Lee View Post
    According to Pyrocat as Two-Bath Developer at http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/html/MixingPyrocats.html, "Both Solution A and Solution B can be re-used several times within a three-four hour period but should be discarded at the end of a development session as they will go bad in about 10-12 hours. "
    I recently developed 36 rolls of 120 film, Efke 25, Fuji Acros and TMY2, from a four day shoot on Ossabaw Island near Savannah, Georgia. I developed the film four reels at a time in a stainless steel tank. Procedure was 5 minutes in Solution A and B, both 1:10 at 75 degrees F, with four agitation cycles in both solutions (initial agitation of 45 seconds, subsequent agitation of 10 seconds). I mixed two liters of both solutions and developed 16 rolls one evening, and 16 rolls the next day. The last batch of film was developed about eighteen hours after I mixed the solutions. I discarded the solutions at that point, though in fact I think they could have been used to develop more film that day if necessary.

    I mixed the films together for development. In retrospect a 1:15 dilution would have worked better for the Efke 25, 1:10 was about right for Acros and TMY2.

    Sandy King

  3. #13
    patrickjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    743
    I am going to have to try this. Am I assuming correctly that Pyrocat-P will also work this way?

  4. #14
    Dave Swinnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Parksville, BC Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    250
    I tried PC-HD divided the other day for the first time - results look good.

    One question comes up, having done the process... the B solution (pot. carbonate as per published directions) goes in clear and comes out looking like strong tea (brown). Is this "normal"? And if it is, can I assume it's safe to reuse (immediately, not tomorrow)?

    Thanks, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Swinnard; 05-05-2010 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    I tried PC-HD divided the other day for the first time - results look good.

    One question comes up, having done the process... the B solution (pot. carbonate as per published directions) goes in clear and comes out looking like strong tea (brown). Is this "normal"? And if it is, can I assume it's safe to reuse (immediately, not tomorrow)?

    Thanks, Dave

    Dave,

    You can definitely reuse the B solution, and the A solution as well. I typically use divided Pyrocat 1:10 when I have a large number of rolls to develop, say after a shooting trip. You should be able to develop 20 or more rolls of 120 film with a liter of the 1:10 solution, but for best results I would recommend developing all of the rolls the same day, or at least complete development within about 24 hours of mixing the solutions. The solutions will definitley go bad after about 24 hours and I don't have any idea how to prevent this from happening.

    Sandy King

  6. #16
    Dave Swinnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Parksville, BC Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    250
    Thanks for the info. Sandy

    A couple of things I've noticed over the last two days...

    Plus-X and Tri-X (4x5): The presoak water comes out essentially clear as does the "A" solution. "B" solution comes out the strong tea brown.

    TMY-2: Presoak comes out that (what I've come to assume as normal) deep blue/indigo colour. "A" solution comes out a pale mauve tone. "B" comes out a deep indigo/brown tone, different than the presoak and the other two films.

    And I thought I was doing monochrome...

    The results - on initial inspection - look very nice. Thursday will see contact printing and maybe a trial scan (I don't have a scanner, but there's an old Epson 3200 at work).

    As far as keeping the mixed solutions...I'm perfectly happy to use them and toss them, it's what I'm used to from using PC-HD "normally" and Xtol 1+3 in the past.

    Oh, Sandy...do you recommend mixing the two "working" solutions for divided PC-HD with distilled water or do you think regular tap water is fine? (Vancouver has decent water - it was rain in the lake not too long ago...)

    Dave

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    Oh, Sandy...do you recommend mixing the two "working" solutions for divided PC-HD with distilled water or do you think regular tap water is fine? (Vancouver has decent water - it was rain in the lake not too long ago...)

    Dave
    Dave,

    The tap water in my area is also very good and I usually mix working Pyrocat-HD solutions with it. However, at the first hint of a problem I would switch back to distilled water.

    Generally speaking the 1:10 solution is much more robust than the normal 1+1+100 solution so it is probably much safer to mix it with tap water.

    Sandy King

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Norfolk, United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,887
    Images
    62
    Sandy,

    Increased robustness of processing is a significant attraction of switching to divided development from my perspective. I may well put a few rolls and sheets through the divided developer to test. If you're using 5 minutes per bath with conventional hand agitation, perhaps 4 1/2 minutes would be suitable for Jobo processing.

    Tom

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Sandy,

    Increased robustness of processing is a significant attraction of switching to divided development from my perspective. I may well put a few rolls and sheets through the divided developer to test. If you're using 5 minutes per bath with conventional hand agitation, perhaps 4 1/2 minutes would be suitable for Jobo processing.

    Tom
    You might try diluting the developer and keep the same development time with rotary development. For example, if you like the results with the 1:10 dilution for five minutes in A and B with intermittent agitation at 72F, try 1:20 with rotary agitation, other things the same. But do experiment first before risking important negatives.

    Sandy

  10. #20
    Adrian Twiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wigan (oop North) United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    612
    Images
    10

    Sodium Carbonate

    I have just come across this thread. I make up Pyrocat using Sodium Carbonate rather than Potassium Carbonate. When used as a single solution my dilution is 1:5:100. Could some advise if the 5 times dilution ratio holds good for divided Pyrocat i.e. solution B would be 1:2 instead of 1:10 or 1:4 instead of 1:20?

    Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin