Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,029   Online: 896

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine View Post
    I can't believe only one other poster mentioned Bergger film. It was a great film for Zone System work. I was able to get N-3 to N+3 out of it with Pyro in my Jobo.
    As the one other poster who did ;-)

All Bergger films were really Forte emulsions. Fortepan 200 (aka J&C Classic 200, Arista.edu Hungary 200, Bergger BRF200) was the last thick-emulsion B&W pictorial film made. Basically, it was as unique in the B&W world as Kodachrome was in the color transparency world.

No replacement is possible.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    As the one other poster who did ;-)

All Bergger films were really Forte emulsions. Fortepan 200 (aka J&C Classic 200, Arista.edu Hungary 200, Bergger BRF200) was the last thick-emulsion B&W pictorial film made. Basically, it was as unique in the B&W world as Kodachrome was in the color transparency world.

No replacement is possible.
    Does it mean Fortepan 100 is not as good as Fortepan 200? :S

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    aldevo,

I can't imagine that even though Bergger was made in the Forte plant that the emulsions were the same. It doesn't seem economically reasonable to have the same product with different names unless there were legal restrictions that required different names for different countries. By the way, after much testing I'm finding that TMAX 400 seems to react similarly to the Bergger film at least in my Zone System testing. It appears every bit as sharp and I'm getting N-3 to N+3 using Rollo Pyro in my Jobo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine View Post
    aldevo,

I can't imagine that even though Bergger was made in the Forte plant that the emulsions were the same. It doesn't seem economically reasonable to have the same product with different names unless there were legal restrictions that required different names for different countries. By the way, after much testing I'm finding that TMAX 400 seems to react similarly to the Bergger film at least in my Zone System testing. It appears every bit as sharp and I'm getting N-3 to N+3 using Rollo Pyro in my Jobo.
    Forte had massive issues with growing overcapacity that eventually lead to their bankruptcy in 2004 and their ultimate demise in early 2007. It is not so very unreasonable when you consider that Bergger and retailers (e.g. Freestyle) bore the cost of marketing the private-labeled film. Ilford also engaged in this practice, and both Fuji and Kodak are now strongly suspected of producing private-labeled film for Freestyle. So it's nothing new and will continue as manufacturers desperately try to keep radically-oversized production infrastructure economically-viable.

I have no experience with Rollo Pyro nor do I conduct detailed sensitometric analysis, but I feel comfortable stating:

1) My J&C Classic 200, Bergger BRF 200, and Fortepan 200 negs absolutely print the same when developed in Pyrocat MC.
    2) My Fortepan 200 (and its aforementioned derivatives) negs do not print anything like my TMY ones did in Pyrocat MC. The former has somewhat less highlight contrast and better mid-tone separation. I have not tried this with the latest TMY-2; only the earlier TMY.
    Last edited by aldevo; 08-06-2009 at 10:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FedericoMP View Post
    Does it mean Fortepan 100 is not as good as Fortepan 200? :S
    No, it isn't a judgement. I have about 15-20 rolls of Fortepan 100 (and its derivatives) left in 135 and about the same number in 120.

I think that Fortepan 200 was more aggresively marketed because it was a serviceable substitute for the long-discontinued Kodak Super-XX Pan.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I miss fuji acros 4x5 quickloads. Does anyone know where I can get some I have tried everywhere?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    OOPS--I almost forgot PANATOMIC-X I learned to shoot on this , probably shot 5-6 rolls a week in the late 60's ASA 32 and very forgiving.
    Rick
    Mmmmm Panatomic 32, It was the shiznitz, super fine and creamy negs.
    sadly only a couple more rolls in the freezer.
    She: What do you do for a living?
    Me: I take pictures.
    She: Oh, you're a photographer.
    Me: No,... I'm an art thief. :)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow!

Thirteen pages of the films people miss and not one single mention of the most remarkable and versatile special purpose continuous tone B&W film Kodak ever made: Professional Copy Film Type 4125.

My very first magazine article was about my discovery of the potential of this film for general photography requiring normal to drastically increased contrast. I guess I am not as good a writer as I would like to think if no one remembers or misses this extraordinary film. PCF produced astounding results unobtainable with any other emulsion ever made by any manufacturer.

On another topic: For those who miss Verichrome Pan, it is my understanding that VP was simply amateur Plus-X without a retouching surface.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    Agfa APX 100. Never tried APX 25, but I know that it was beloved by many. (There is actually lots of APX 100 still out there in 35mm, I shot it mostly in 120.)
    Also, I am sad that I never got to try Verichrome Pan.
    I wish I could find where it is located in the US... I ordered 15 rolls of 35mm last week from a shop in NY but the film was expired. I am not concerned about that but that is all I have been able to find.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neopan 100 Acros Quickload. With the Quickloads went pretty much my only reason for using this film in the first place. Maybe I can still get them sent in from Japan, but I am not sure if it is worth it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin