Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,964   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds amazingly good.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    great deal. you will be able to make a few extra bucks as well...and you should. i would lik eto buy a few boxes. i sent you a PM.

cheers

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations! If it's still good - freeze it. Fast! Calculate how many sheets you use in a year, and divide the number of sheets you have by that number to find out how much you will use in the near future and sell the rest. Who knows how long it will last! But then again, Michael and Paula have a freezer full of Super-XX sheet film that they bought when Kodak discontinued it. And that was a long time ago. They say base fog increases, but that you learn to print through it, and expose / process accordingly to compensate for it. And, a friend of mine has boat loads of Royal-X sheets that are a bit foggy, but works beautifully.

One thing to consider is that fresh film will give you the best consistency. Buy it as you need it, basically. But with a deal like this, and if I was shooting 4x5, I'd go for it too. 5,000 sheets + should teach you something about the film, that's for sure, and there's enough for you to get consistency anyway.
    HC-110 is a great developer for old film. So is Xtol. They tend to suppress base fog very well.

Have fun! What a steal!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Congratulations! If it's still good - freeze it. Fast! Calculate how many sheets you use in a year, and divide the number of sheets you have by that number to find out how much you will use in the near future and sell the rest.
    That will never fly. When he has that much paper, he will print much more. Maybe he should only sell half of the rest. [Half since we are dealing with photography and we deal with light as factors of two.]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Holy mother of mercy. I didn't know the Plus-X was such a hot commodity in 4x5, as I never liked it that much in 35mm. Why is it so freakin' popular?

I put four 25 sheet boxes on eBay as a test and it's currently bid up to $76 (!?!). Why is this selling for as much as new sheet film, or even more?

I'd still like to cut a few APUGgers a good price, I'm not a film scalper, I'm a photographer. In exchange, though, you have to post what you shoot on APUG!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plus-X is claimed to give an old school look. I just think it's a nice sharp film with a beautiful tonal scale. It doesn't work well for me, though, due to reciprocity problems; and I like to shoot in low light.

You could make a killing with it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    What kills film is freezing, thawing, freezing, thawing, etc.
    how is that? Is Photo Engineer around?

Freeze/thaw/freeze damage generally results either from expansion of trapped water as it freezes; or from damage caused by needle-sharp ice crystals forming while enclosed in membranes (eg freezer-burned meat). Neither of these mechanisms applies to film AFAIK.
    Last edited by MikeSeb; 07-21-2009 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations! You are officially a businessman. I had no idea Plus-X sheet film went for so much either. This should be a HUGE return on your investment. You could make enough to buy a new Sinar or Linhof if you play your cards right (or, I guess you could just pay your rent for half a year...). However, before you get ahead of yourself on E-Bay, test that film; especially considering where it was stored. (1. You know for a fact that it was not refrigerated, 2. it was in a hot climate, and 3. in a garage, which can get very hot.) It is only right to do that before putting it up for auction. Not only that, but it will also allow you to state in the auction description that this is tested film, which may bring in more money. Two things for best profits: 1) Don't sell large lots of it. You will get more money by selling it a bit at a time. 2) Don't flood the market. Seep it into E-Bay one or two auctions at a time.

...and, as I said before, I WANT SOME!!! (A LOT, even! ) If it means getting a good deal on a sizable quantity, I will even drive down from L.A. and pick it up. (I can borrow a pickup truck if needed )
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-21-2009 at 05:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm working on getting it tested right now with some APUG people. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, shouldn't be later than Monday.

Shooter
    35mm
    i will definitely buy a few boxes, pm me please.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin