Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,614   Online: 1086

Images
    I have used the 2d and it worked wonderfully. Now I want to process the film. This might sound dumb but how do you folks wash your larger (in this case 5x7) negs? I am also wondering if there is a method of doing this like the illford washing routine that saves water?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Hello, I wash 4x5 and 8x10 negs in my ZoneVI print washer. Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I have used the 2d and it worked wonderfully. Now I want to process the film. This might sound dumb but how do you folks wash your larger (in this case 5x7) negs? I am also wondering if there is a method of doing this like the illford washing routine that saves water?
    I don't have any large negs but it seems to me the washing you describe is for final wash - which is/can be done in room light. Therefore, any procedure you like could be used: Tray, rotation, tank, dip & dunk, etc.

I think the essence of washing is the friction of clean water over a period of time. I think the Ilford system makes plenty of sense. Keep in mind the brunt of the washing takes place in the first bath. Time in the first wash is less important than the volume of water. You are further neutralizing the majority of the chemistry present and diluting it. That first bath contaminates very quickly and becomes useless in a matter of a few seconds.

Gravity Works makes some sheet film washers at a decent price. For myself, I wash in the Jobo processor.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use the Gravity Works washer for 4x5 and 5x7 (in hangers). For 8x10 and 8x20 I wash in trays.
    Paul Hamann

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to use a Paterson auto print washer for my 8x10s, and a Silverprint 16x20 washer for any ULF stuff.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I thought I posted to this thread earlier, humm! I have a washer for 4x5 that will take 12 films and fills and drains by itself. The brand on it is Oriental. A friend gave it to me. Seems to work pretty good. Larger film gets tossed into the Zone vi print washer.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One 8x10 negative at a time in a 5 gallon bucket - non acid fixer and 20 minutes of leach time - no worries
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    mark:

i've washed 5x7 a few ways.

this first way i don't do anymore because i got rid of all my hangers ... but if you have film hangers, you can just leave them in a tank with water running and you will be okay.

the second way is what i currently do. (i tray process) after i do the perma-wash, i shuffle the film in a tray, fill-n-dump 20 times. haven't had any problems and the "residual hypo tests" come out clean.

if i had the $$ i'd get a negative washer. lot less of a hassle than standing there filling, shuffling, and dumping.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin