Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,443   Online: 788

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MaxPyro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    True. It will probably 'go off' faster than PMK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I would use it up rather than putting it to the rear of the shelf. The money is spent - might as well use it rather than waste he money.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ID-4 Pyro-Metol Developer

Part A
    Metol 4g
    Potassium Metabisulphite 25g
    Pyrogallol 25g
    Water to 1 litre

Part B
    Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 75g
    Water to 1 litre

To Use: 1 Part A + 1 Part B, dish develop for 2-3 minutes @ 20°C

The Phenidone version (in Kendall's original Patent) just substitutes O.4g Phenidone for the 4g Metol.

If this was diluted further it might be interesting.

Ian
    If you were to use 150 ml of the Metol-ascorbic acid solution in glycerin described earlier in this thread in place of the Metol and Potassium Metabisulfite, dissolve 50 grams of Pyrogallol in enough TEA to make 850 ml, and add the two solutions together, you would have the single Pyro-Metol staining developer I mentioned. You could dilute it 25 or 50 to 1 for use, or perhaps more for stand development. 50:1 gives a working pH of ~9.5. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet. 1+50, 8 minutes, 70 F gave low contrast with Arista EDU 400 Ultra on VC paper, but there is detail in the shadows. I'm about to go back into the dungeon to try more magenta in the printing, and a longer development time for the film.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    I am curious. I know the oxidation rate is much slower compared to PMK. Is there a difference in capacity? I haven't been able to read the article.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't seen any capacity figures so just assumed it was similar to PMK. I just finished up some 5x7 TMY-2 and Efke 25, and 8x10 FP4+, J+C 100 and Efke 25 in the JOBO (not in an Expert tank). The TMY-2 did exceptionally well. The Efke 25 and J+C 100 were fine (practically the same as PMK except for a slight change in the color cast of the stain) but the FP4+ for some reason had some rotation direction micro fine density streaks that looked like virga from the clouds. I found that I generally had to reduce the recommended times (even though I shot the J+C 100 at 100). I think I will save the rest of my Max Pyro for the TMY-2.

Images

Developing time.

The developing time for FP4+ in the above Pyro-Metol-C-TEA developer (call it PMC-TEA) is 10 minutes at 70 F. The attachment shows gradations, but not the fine grain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMC-TEA FP4+.jpg  
    Gadget Gainer

Gainer: You should be helping Ralph on his new edition! Great stuff about the developers. Even if some of us don't have the inclination to try your mixtures, your posts are very helpful and instructive. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help educate us. Very much appreciated on this end.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Ian. how effective is "effectively"? Is it one of those patents that seeks to cover all possible combinations of pyro and Metol? How about a Pyro-Metol-Ascorbic acid-TEA single solution concentrated staining developer?

Hi Pat,

How about this single solution Pyro+metol+ascorbic, the fundamentals of which were strongly inspired by Gainer? I mixed it up directly in TEA with a hot plat stirrer at about 150F.

Pyro-Uno
    TEA 85 ml
    Ascorbic acid 2 g
    Pyrogallol 5 g
    Metol 1 g

TEA to make 100 ml

Mix chemicals in order listed. Will dissolve easily with a hot plate stirrer at about 150F.

Working Solution: 1:50 to 1:200
    Starting point development time at 1:100 is 10-14 minutes with rotary (continuous) processing.

I have done some BTZS testing of the developer and will post a chart later after plotting the results.

The amount of total reducer in Pyro-Uno in a liter of working solution at 1:100 is about the same as that of Pyrocat at 1:1:100, and this should give good acutance.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 07-25-2009 at 02:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Sandy: What is TEA? I assume, of course, that it is not drinking tea :}...any special concentration or componenets in the TEA?

I look forward to the BTZS data.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Sandy: What is TEA? I assume, of course, that it is not drinking tea :}...any special concentration or componenets in the TEA?

I look forward to the BTZS data.

Ed

Ed,

TEA is Triethanolamine. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethanolamine

Reducers mixed in TEA are very long lasting, and when mixed with water an alkaline solution of about 9.8 is formed that is fairly ideal for pyrogallol.

Gainer's PC-TEA is a one solution developer made up of phenidone + ascorebic acid in TEA. You just mix it with water for use.

Sandy King

Images
    I tried a similar approach using catechol, but TEA could not supply the pH of the Potassium carbonate solution. I haven't played with DEA (diethanolamine) yet, but Kodak did in HC-110. Don't mess with MEA. You can get a brochure that tells all you want to know about all three from Dow.com.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin