Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,254   Online: 748

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: MaxPyro

MaxPyro

Well, it has been about 8 months since Gordon Hutchings' article about his new MaxPyro developer in View Camera Magazine. I wonder if anyone here has used the new developer, and if there are any opinions based upon such experience. I use a Jobo, but any experience would be welcomed. One senses that Pyrocat has become one of the most favored Pyro developers, and for good reason. Sandy is always here to help out, and as experience expands, there are many good hints and tips provided. Use with the Jobo, tubes, and traditional trays have all proved to be effective. One can use a wide variety of temperatures, and most films seem to respond quite well. Nevertheless, given Mr. Hutchings reputation regarding Pyro, I am curious as to the response to his MaxPyro product. If anyone has used MaxPyro, might guidance be provided for developing times with films used, and exposure vs. developing times? Thanks.

Ed

The lack of responses seems to speak volumes about the use of MaxPyro. Interesting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One thing that no one has addressed about Max Pyro is the cost. A friend tried it and liked it very much, but when I look at ordering some to try I did a quick calculation and found MP working dilution would run near $3.00 a liter! The most expensive off-the-shelf developer I have ever used is Kodak HC110 which used to run about $0.75 per liter.

Personally I process 8x10 film in an open tray and I calculate that MP would cost me about $1.50 per sheet, compared to PMK or Pyrocat HD at about $0.50 per sheet if I buy it premixed and near $0.30 if I mix my own from bulk chemicals. Using the same calculation, if I were to process 11x14 film, MP would run near $3.00 pre sheet.

Certainly if MP is a great improvement then maybe the cost is not a factor, but for me I would have to see a lot of improvement in my negatives to justify a near six times increase in developer cost.

For the above stated reasons I have opted to not even try MP. Others may have a different view. I would be interested in hearing of anyone’s experiences.

B. Dalton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It gives full film speed and the developing times are short. The larger quantities of parts A and B compared to PMK probably give a theoretically more consistent mix, but they do drive up the cost.

Agree about the cost...I noted that MP is about 20% more then both PMK and Pyrocat at B&S. Still interested in hearing of anyone's experiences with MP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Agree about the cost...I noted that MP is about 20% more then both PMK and Pyrocat at B&S. Still interested in hearing of anyone's experiences with MP.
    Actually, and unfortunately, it appears to be considerably more than 20% if the description is correct as the MaxPyro offer indicates a 10L yield while the PMK, for example, makes 50L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it is considerably more. I figure to develop an 8x10 (300ml) in Max Pyro costs 91 cents, while in PMK, 15 cents. So, more than 6 times the cost.

Shooter
    35mm
    Won't stop me from trying it though, what's 91 cents when you are banging your head with an 8x10?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just wrote MAX in big letters on my pmk bottles. I'll see if it works any better.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used some MAX Pyro on a bunch of different films last fall. It worked.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin