Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,037   Online: 917

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

film developer temperature

Can anyone tell me what the effect of raising standard developer temperature from 68 degrees to 75 degrees might be other than shortening development times? I'm asking because I was just given a brand new, in the box, Jobo Duolab and would like to develop my sheet film in the paper developer slots designed for 8x10 paper. I designed a holder that allows me to develop four sheets of 4x5 film on a single sheet of textured plastic so both sides of the film are exposed to the developer and the resulting negs are the most evenly developed sheet film i've ever seen, even better than the BTZS tubes I've been using but I'm concerned because the lowest temperature the Duolab can maintain is 75 degrees in the four processing slots. As all the chemicals are the same temperature, reticulation is not a problem but is there something else of which I should be aware?
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may get increased grain at 75F compared to 68F. I did with Tetenal Ultrafin; when the processing temperature was lowered to approximately 68F grain reduced dramatically with ILFORD Delta 100. However, I use Pyrocat-HD at elevated temperatures without apparent ill-effect.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in Turkey I regularly process at 24C (75F) because on a day like today (40C by the afternoon) and with tap water at about 28C it's impossible to work at 20C (68F). I have to use ice to get to 24C

Modern films are fine at these temperatures, although more care is needed with Adox/EFKE films as they have far less hardening, but there's no issues as you plan to keep all steps at the same temperature.

Tom, there shouldn't be any increase on grain, but if there's variations in temperature between steps this can cause micro-reticulation which causes grain clumping, so more apparent garin

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Ian, in the summertime I use 24C as my standard developing temperature, I just cannot get it any lower, unless I use chilled water from the fridge, or ice in really hot weather.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As with the above comments I can't even get close to 68F in the summer. I did a roll of Tri-X 400 and a roll of Tmax 400 yesterday at 78F which is the lowest temp I can get in my darkroom this time of year. All solutions were the same temp and the wash water was 81F. After inspecting the negs with a loupe I found no ill effects at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally use 72F chemicals, as it seems this temperature is usually fairly easy to obtain consistently where I am. I have not noticed anything different than when I used to do it at 68F, except for times, of course. I still do Ekfe/Adox at 68F, because I think I once read some sort of "official" recommendation to do so. I always keep some distilled water in the fridge for mixing with room-temp. water for the Efke.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't help it. I thought you were using 2F chemicals...

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I generally use 72F chemicals, as it seems this temperature is usually fairly easy to obtain consistently where I am. I have not noticed anything different than when I used to do it at 68F, except for times, of course. I still do Ekfe/Adox at 68F, because I think I once read some sort of "official" recommendation to do so. I always keep some distilled water in the fridge for mixing with room-temp. water for the Efke.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Can't help it. I thought you were using 2F chemicals...
    heh heh.

(BTW, in case you were actually wondering, 2F/2F is not referring to Fahrenheit.)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    heh heh.

(BTW, in case you were actually wondering, 2F/2F is not referring to Fahrenheit.)

So what is it, then; your draft status in the War of 1812??
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I guess I feel lucky to be in the northern US where the standard water temperature is 40-50 degrees F.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin