Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,607   Online: 808

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Patterson Aculux-2
    Brad, Aculux is not discontinued. It is distributed in Europe (at least). Eg http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...loper-1-litre/

I remember a previous thread here on APUG talking about tests between 3 and 2 formulations and that no perceptible differences in output had been found.

I hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Atomal FF. Have 5 packs in my darkroom. Just waiting to finish the D76 I mixed before I got my hands on this wonderful film developer!
    Miss it very much.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I never used it but I wish I could try Kodak Polytoner ...
    Richard Knoppow noted in http://www.nonmonotonic.net/Photoche...ion_Toners.pdf that combinations of Kodak Brown Toner and Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner could give results similar to Polytoner.
    One version Richard Knoppow posted elsewhere evidently derived from a “Modern Photography” magazine article - Dec, 1953 and was said to have originated at Kodak.

"No.1
    Water 500.0 ml
    KBT 80.0 ml
    KRST 20.0 ml
    Sodium Carbonate, mono 40.0 grams
    Water to 1.0 liter

Use full strength.

The original article does not specify the hydration of the carbonate, however, I’ve (Knoppow) mixed it with monohydrated carbonate which worked well."

More versions from Knoppow:

"The following two formulas are from a Kodak booklet “Professional Printing with Kodak
    Photographic Materials” First Edition, 1953 printing, p.37
    Hue No.1 is described as “rich red-brown”, hue No.2 is described as “a warm brown.”

Hue No. 1
    KRST 17.0 ml
    KBT 75.0 ml
    Kodalk 30.0 grams
    Water to 1.0 liter

Use full strength
    To replenish add 30.0 ml of KRST 1:5 per each 10 8x10 prints toned.

Hue No.2
    KRST 2.0 ml
    KBT 100.0 ml
    Kodalk 8.0 grams
    Water to 1.0 liter

Use full strength
    To replenish add 30.0 ml of KRST 1:20 for each 10 8x10 prints toned.

Hue 2 tends to reduce the image slightly so prints to be toned should be printed slightly darker
    than desired for the final image.

Kodalk is Sodium Metaborate, octahydrate. Probably Sodium Carbonate would also work.
    These toners work very quickly, about 1 to 3 minutes for the magazine formula and Hue No.1
    and about 7 minutes for Hue No.2 at room temperature.

After toning prints should be directly immersed in a 10% solution of Sodium Sulfite or stock
    strength Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent. This will act as a stop bath for the toner, preventing after
    toning and staining in the wash. About one minute is enough. RC prints should be washed for 4
    minutes. Single weight fiber prints should be washed for about 10 minutes, double weight fiber
    prints for about 20 minutes.

This toner has a moderately strong odor of both Ammonia and of Hydrogen sulfide (rotten
    eggs) when working."

All above from R. Knoppow 4 August 2005

So, maybe you can try a workable alternative to Kodak Polytoner.
    Last edited by CBG; 07-25-2009 at 02:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spellink

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin