Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,831   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

discontinued chemistry

The discontinued film thread got me thinking - what about the flip side, anyone have any favorite chemistry they miss?

Ilford Cooltone paper developer

Edwal TG-7 (great film developer).

I suppose this is less an issue than film, because unlike film, if a chemical (paper developer or film developer) gets the axe, as long as the formula is known, it can be compounded at home. Still - list your deceased faves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is none that I personally miss, but developers such as May & Baker Promicrol and Agfa Atomal spring to mind. I am sure that there are many other unique developers for films and papers that are missed.
    Lamenting their demise though is a waste of time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Patterson Aculux-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    GAF Universal Developer
    it was THE BEST!
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a couple packs of Atomal in the darkroom somewhere. Seems like they were given to me, I've never used the stuff.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm

discontinued chemistry

I think the formula for FG-7 was changed over time. When it was sold in the brown glass bottles it lasted much longer. Atomal and Neofin Rot are two I haven't seen in a long time. I'm not sure whether Acu-1 is still sold. A long time ago I remember Polydol and Versatol. A developer I enjoyed experimenting with was Ethol Blue. In high school and college I used H&W Control. There was Clayton P60 (now F60). Some of the Neofin developers were sold under the Beseler name. At one time I used Ektaflo Type 1 paper developer. There was a developer called Autofine which was useful with some very grainy fast films. It has been many years since the Konica developers like Konicadol were available. Remember Harvey's 777 Panthermic developer? I think there is a new version being sold now. The Paterson developers like FX-39, Acutol and FX-50 were interesting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Perfection XR-1. I loved that stuff.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I guess you could "technically" put Rodinal on the list.

Although not really; there are a few Rodinal copies out there that pick up where they Agfa left off. By the way, what happened to Agfa? Did they go under or were they purchased and now slap their name on $20 DVD players like Polaroid?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I never used it but I wish I could try Kodak Polytoner.

Ilfochrome is available but moribund and worthy of the list.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal is still being made, by the same factory but now repackaged under different names.

There's an issue with some of the former Agfa Trade Name which Agfa let lapse, a US distributor registered the Rodinal name and began selling Orwo/Calbe RO9 repackaged as Rodinal even the labelling was very similar and designed to deceive. (The company ceased trading).

Ilford Hyfin is one developer I'd like to try, it had disappeared by the mid 70's, I have two cartons but the sachets of developer have deteriorated and oxidised. luckily I think I have found the formula

The Johnson's Scale brand of chemistry has completely disappeared, it's possible that Paterson have the formulae but none are published, but they made very good products. Johnson's were the earliest UK supplier of Photographic chemistry, the family were Bullion dealers supplying Silver/Silver Nitrate as well as developing agents, one part of the family's company still exists Johnson Matthey although now known as Cooksons Precious Metals.

Unfortunately a lot of interesting chemistry is being lost.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin