Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,321   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Curosity over Russian film

I look at eBay from time to time, and I keep noticing that there are several Russian films up for auction such as Svema 32, Tasma 32, and Svema fn 64. Has anybody tried these films, and if so, how did they turn out?

I am asking mainly out of curosity because I've never worked with films that slow before. Plus, I wanted a comparison between them and "western" films. I tend to prefer 400 speed because my cheap "toy" cameras can use it OK while slower speed films are more for my SLR and GSN only.

Thanks,
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Russian films used to be very similar to ORWO products. All of these derived from original Agfa formulas and evolved gradually.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a roll of Svema 64 in 120 that I've been waiting to shoot. I'll post some results when I do. I'll probably develop in Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to try slower films, Ilford's Pan-F Plus (50) and Efke 25 and 50 are available and are very good films.

It might be fun to try the Russian films, but my understanding is that they are no longer manufactured so your dalliance with them will not be for a very long duration.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As far as I know Svema is gone since years, Tasma produces films for non-photographic purposes (X-Ray, military, microfilm).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shot a couple of rolls of Tasma a few years back. I had big problems with film curl, it was nearly impossible to get it to dry flat. Other people may have different experiences. At the time I wasn't massively impressed by it pictorially, but I had a look at the negs again a few months back when I was messing about with a new scanner, and they actually look OK to me now. I still prefer Pan-F.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As side note:
    Svema was an Ukranian manfacturer.

I tried the full Soviet era experience with FED-2 and Tasma film and the developer they used.The film came in cut lengths that had to be loaded into cassettes in the dark.These guys must have been quite keen.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...de-russia.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...film-test.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin