Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,745   Posts: 1,670,477   Online: 750

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The influence of water quality on the performance of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner

After experiencing calcium type deposits on prints processed through KRST mixed with very hard tap water, I'm planning mix my next batch with de-ionized water, as I've experienced intermittent issues with selenium toner previously mixed with plain tap water. Do any other APUGers have experience of dealing with these variables?

Tom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I always used distilled when I processed my own film/paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    have you filtered, or are you filtering your water? just a basic question, i've found that when doing my final wash on fiber prints, I let the print stand in a tray of distilled water for 15 minutes or so, with an agitation every couple minutes or so. As with ANY toning solution, I mix with filtered water, or distilled water if possible. are you on well, or city supply for your water?

-dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Daniel,

The water is filtered through a particulate filter, from a mains supply. As a control I processed a fibre print without the selenium toner bath and didn't experience any calcium type deposits.

I let the print stand in a tray of distilled water for 15 minutes or so, with an agitation every couple minutes or so.
    - As a final rinse after washing?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes. i put the "fully washed" print, after ALL toning procedures are done, in a tray of distilled water, which acts as a final rinse. then i put the print on the racks to dry.

so far, no calcium deposits whatsoever.

-dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    yes. i put the "fully washed" print, after ALL toning procedures are done, in a tray of distilled water, which acts as a final rinse. then i put the print on the racks to dry.

so far, no calcium deposits whatsoever.

-dan
    Do you know your calcium per litre level?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no. i don't print at home, since i'm at school right now. i use either the school's darkroom, or a local adult education that has a pretty nice darkroom. i stay on them to keep the water filters changed, even though i'm part of a small group of people still shooting film there.

try it, it might work for you. i selenium tone anything that i sell or give to somebody. or one for myself and my parents house

dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin