Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,598   Online: 869

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Films

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I couldn't agree with cmo more. It's absolutely horrid stuff. I scored a couple dozen rolls of 35 mm and 120 stock. It wasn't worth the effort even at the $0.50 US per roll that I paid for it. Do yourself a favor. Don't bother with it. Use the money for some good stuff.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is fine in 35mm (halation is not consistent)...at 120 not so impressed (since at that format you are intending to get detail, extended tonal range etc). If you know what you are buying you won't be disappointed. Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    I couldn't agree with cmo more. It's absolutely horrid stuff. I scored a couple dozen rolls of 35 mm and 120 stock. It wasn't worth the effort even at the $0.50 US per roll that I paid for it. Do yourself a favor. Don't bother with it. Use the money for some good stuff.
    Well, I didn't dare to write "it's a waste of chemistry to develop this".

Maybe I set the bar very high - since I used some new Tmax 400 and developed them in XTol 1:1.

It seems the new Tmax generation does not have the old T-grain flaws any more: 2 f-stops faster than 100 ASA films - but sharper. What I like even more is the enormous range of tones, there are lots of details in the shadows and highlights. Compared to this new film Lucky films look medieval. 100 ASA B/W films are not a choice for me any more, not even 'legends' like APX 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not that Lucky is a bad film (I've got some in my fridge right now) but it has stiff competition these days. A film like Lucky would have been great 50 years ago. Now it is just so-so. But it could be very good if you are looking for a look like they did from the past, at at the price you can afford to experiment some. Just don't waste your good shots with it until you have a feel for what you can do with it.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    It's not that Lucky is a bad film (I've got some in my fridge right now) but it has stiff competition these days. A film like Lucky would have been great 50 years ago......
    Michael
    I cannot compare directly since I would not even try it if free. However, the films from 50 years ago were not that bad and from the sounds of the description of Lucky, maybe you have to go back 100 years.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Well, I didn't dare to write "it's a waste of chemistry to develop this".

Maybe I set the bar very high - since I used some new Tmax 400 and developed them in XTol 1:1.

It seems the new Tmax generation does not have the old T-grain flaws any more: 2 f-stops faster than 100 ASA films - but sharper. What I like even more is the enormous range of tones, there are lots of details in the shadows and highlights. Compared to this new film Lucky films look medieval. 100 ASA B/W films are not a choice for me any more, not even 'legends' like APX 100.
    We must be drinking the same Kool-Aid. TMY-2 is fantastic stuff. First time I developed a roll of the stuff, I was sold and I didn't even shoot it. A friend of mine picked up a few rolls and shot them in a Pentax 645 on the streets of midtown Manhattan. Now, anyone who's got any powers of observation and has ever been here on a sunny day will tell you that the contrast range of a scene can be completely off the hook. Summer is bad. Winter light is even worse because the lower angle of the sun casts hard shadows everywhere. This stuff just took it in stride with easily printable detail from the deepest shadows to the brightest highlights. And yes, you get this at box speed following Kodak's directions to the letter for D-76 or XTOL.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are a few shots from my first roll of Lucky. It was Lucky SHD100 in my old Vivitar EF35 point and shoot. While it was only the second roll of film I had ever developed, I think it turned out OK.

I haven't cleaned up the dust and such from the scans (for some reason my house is always dusty when it's time to develop film!) and the scanner is only 5mp, but they are not bad scans for printing moderate size images.

Michael

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    A film like Lucky would have been great 50 years ago.
    If Lucky had been around 50 years ago, digital would have happened 20 years sooner. The films I shot 50 years ago were, albeit slower, were far superior. Add to that the total lack of consistency. One batch of 35 is not the same and another, not he same as any 120 or sheet.

It may have it's place. If you shoot t a vision Lucky is not the film. If you shoot hoping to be surprised, as with shooting Holga, or even pin hole, then by all means Lucky would be a film to consider.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lucky film is like Lucky film, end of story.

I started using this film only a short time ago when the local photo shop had some in a box on special.

I bought a couple of rolls, tested them and found that it does have a weak anti-halation layer thingy in the make up of the film.

What some people find terrible, others will like. You can use that weakness as a strength, would you believe, just think a bit laterally.

I now have used about 20 rolls with a further 50 odd rolls sitting in the refrigerator.

It's like anything really, if it does what you want, then use it, if it doesn't, don't use it.

Lucky film in 35mm format, which is what I have, has it's own look and feel.

It is more grainy than most current films available, it does have a small halo effect with a bright subject with a dark background, it does develop consistently, roll after roll.

Ummm, Lucky film does what it is supposed to do, gives you negatives to make pictures with, consistently!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it available in 5x7 or 8x10???
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin