Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,509   Online: 884

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Films

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm. Back when I used to shoot J&C 100 in my 8x10 the red paper bag inside the envelope was sealed with a sticker. The sticker had writing in Chinese....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Hmmm. Back when I used to shoot J&C 100 in my 8x10 the red paper bag inside the envelope was sealed with a sticker. The sticker had writing in Chinese....
    There is no real language known as Chinese -- it's more of a Classification for a group of Languages, the most popular of these is Mandarin, the official language of China. Most Western people can't tell the difference between the writing of the languages in this group and the Kanji script of Japan, both are Iconic, but quite different. If you refer to Kanji as Chinese, a Japanese person, would be deeply offended.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    There is no real language known as Chinese -- it's more of a Classification for a group of Languages, the most popular of these is Mandarin, the official language of China. Most Western people can't tell the difference between the writing of the languages in this group and the Kanji script of Japan, both are Iconic, but quite different. If you refer to Kanji as Chinese, a Japanese person, would be deeply offended.
    I can't tell you if it was Mandarin, but it wasn't film from Fuji, and that pretty much narrows it down to China, unless the North Koreans have a film coating facility tucked away under a missile bunker.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you accept Lucky's flaws (anti-halation coating, weak tape in 120 as already mentioned), the major issue with them as I see it is sporadic or lack of communication with the outside world about their products and their availability.

For example, a couple of years ago, Lucky SHD400 and SHD100 were widely available on eBay. After asking a Taiwanese seller with some sort of factory connection (supposedly), I was able to get some of their apparently short-lived C-41 B&W film, SHD400CN. However, SHD400 seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, and I can't get the SHD400CN again (it wasn't spectacular, but it was interesting and cheap).

So, they're interesting films to try, but a consistent supply may be an issue, and availability may be hampered without any warning.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I can't tell you if it was Mandarin, but it wasn't film from Fuji, and that pretty much narrows it down to China, unless the North Koreans have a film coating facility tucked away under a missile bunker.
    Well, if it was more then a couple of years ago, there was Konica, who had their own film and paper manufacturing, we saw their colour stuff in Canada, not sure about B&W or what happened to the facility after they sold out to Sony. I used their film occasionally and it definitely wasn't re-badged Fuji either.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    If you accept Lucky's flaws (anti-halation coating, weak tape in 120 as already mentioned), the major issue ...
    Hey, I got divorced, so I do not have to accept flaws.

Unless that is what you'all walk on!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    On the 120 I have 3 of 9 rolls the paper backing and the film separated. I have the 10th roll in the fridge and I'm afraid to use it. I'm not a seasoned pro but no issue with Kodak film. I won't be using again.
    Robland - Seattle area

Insert "catch phrase" here...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Well, if it was more then a couple of years ago, there was Konica, who had their own film and paper manufacturing, we saw their colour stuff in Canada, not sure about B&W or what happened to the facility after they sold out to Sony. I used their film occasionally and it definitely wasn't re-badged Fuji either.
    The film and packaging in question couldn't be anything but Chinese. Just the finish work on the paper packaging alone... a Japanese company would committed collective suicide over it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robland View Post
    On the 120 I have 3 of 9 rolls the paper backing and the film separated. I have the 10th roll in the fridge and I'm afraid to use it. I'm not a seasoned pro but no issue with Kodak film. I won't be using again.
    You will not use which Lucky or Kodak?

Please advise, interested readers want to know!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    If you accept Lucky's flaws (anti-halation coating, weak tape in 120 as already mentioned), the major issue ...
    Hey, I got divorced, so I do have to accept flaws. I'm on long term disability right now and can't be as choosy as I would like to be. I'm gonna take a roll out and run it through my pinhole camera as soon as it is is ready to be swapped out. But, hey, if anybody has any Lucky in 35mm they don't want, then they can feel free to send it my way and I promise I will dispose of it properly!

Michael

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin