Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,557,991   Online: 1099

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Lucky Films

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The "Centuria" film sold in Japan is made by "DNP". Packed in cheaper looking boxes than the old stuff and is marked "made in USA", no mention of Konica. It does sell for a lot less than Kodak or Fuji.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    The "Centuria" film sold in Japan is made by "DNP". Packed in cheaper looking boxes than the old stuff and is marked "made in USA", no mention of Konica. It does sell for a lot less than Kodak or Fuji.
    There is only one company manufacturing film in the USA, the one that uses a stylized red K and a lot of yellow in it's packaging.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Konica/Aria

Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    IIRC the "new" Konica film sold in Japan was marked Made in the USA, so it wasn't the old Konica film.
    Ok, I never got close to any late Konica or DNP roll of film.

What stroke me odd was that Aria copied the Konica design 1:1 - it was the same "VX200" label on the box, on the film cartridge, the large boxes with spooled RA4 paper, everything to the tiniest detail was identical to what I have around at my place like the "Konica Minolta" paper box my last film order at Nordfoto was packed in 2008. Just lacking the K-M, showing the "Aria" logo.

The Iranian point is an interesting one, I imagine that as Western Europe and North American guzzle the digital Koolaide, that secondary countries like Iran and even tertiary countries will line up behind those to keep the film market going for a long time yet.
    As I said, Iran was investing in new machines in the 2005-2006 timeframe.

But as the events in June/July this year have shown us, at least people in the major cities are using their cell phones when it comes to taking snaps of what is going on. That society is not a tiny wee bit lagging behind when it comes to information technology and the stuff we don´t talk about in this forum.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Paul,

There is only one company manufacturing film in the USA
    Did Fuji close the finishing plant for film and single use cameras in the US?
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr View Post
    Paul,

Did Fuji close the finishing plant for film and single use cameras in the US?
    A finishing plant is not necessarily manufacturing, considering that labour rates in Japan these days are pretty much on par with the US, the added value of finishing is probably not the most expensive part of the process. Funny thing is, Kodak does their finishing in Mexico, but the film is still marked made in USA.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Funny thing is, Kodak does their finishing in Mexico, but the film is still marked made in USA.
    Both the Kodak Brand (and the arista premium brand for that mater) that I have used recently show the "finished in Mexico" on the box. Normally in most places the "made in" is supposed to show where the majority of the value was added. and that is probably in turning raw materials into film, not cutting and rolling.

Before the move to mexico, the only time I have seen anything like that was some British High speed ektachrome which was marked that it was made in USA but packaged by Kodak Limited London. That was when the place I was working at was buying from a grey market supplier as they offered smaller orders than the minimum from Kodak.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    The "Centuria" film sold in Japan is made by "DNP".
    I have seen one seller on E-bay who stated that DNP was Dai-Nippon Printing - which is the firm that bought Konica-Minolta's Inkjet Paper business if I remember right.

I am too hesitant to buy film directly from hong kong to find out.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin