Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,531   Online: 893

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Films

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lucky Films

Who here has tried the Chinese Lucky films? I was searching on eBay for film (hoping I could find a good deal so I don't have to wait a week for Freestyle's shipment to come in) and I saw a lot of Lucky stuff.

I've not heard of it before. Is it a treasure waiting to be found?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have much better ways to get Lucky! Besides I am willing to spend money on film to have quality and consistancy.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's an interesting film, well worth playing with.

One warning: the tape affixing the 120 version to its backing paper is very weak. I had a roll detach during film transport, and the roll was ruined.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had fun with the brick of 35mm Lucky 100 I have. The poor antihalation is interesting. It's cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there any place to get it other than eBay? I haven't noticed it on Adorama, B&H, or even Freestyle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My dad was in China a couple months few months ago. I was going to ask him to get me some, but he's not a patient shopper so I decided against putting in the request late in the trip. Maybe next time. He's probably going in September again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried Lucky film about 4 or 5 years ago and found it was OK, I couldn't get the halation problems even with severe backlit subjects. The 100 ISO film I used was very similar to Tmax, Kodak were licensing the technology to Lucky, However the films appear to have been inconsistent and reverted back to older technology.

Simon Galley indicated that Ilford had analysed the film and it wasn't based on T-grain technology. Kodak terminated their co-operation with Lucky.

Ian

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    These films are mentioned here every few months. I tried some of them, but results were sobering, x-double minus performance. It's like using a bad 400 ASA film with a 2x ND filter - only 100 ASA. Almost all other films are better in almost all respects. The only interesting thing is the useless anti-halation. It creates some kind of special halo effect that disturbs in all normal photos and perfectly ruins all shots taken in high-contrast situations. Together with the muddy tones, the lack of sharpness and the ugly grain it is a good choice to create a '1955 official chinese press photo look', especially when you use it with a bad lens. Let's call it a special effect film for special situations... some people like it for its flaws.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cmo, your review sold me, (never to use it), very funny.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have shot 25 to 30 rolls of it in both 129 and 35mm. It is a ok film, yes it has a weak anti-halo layer. Bright whites do cause a halo if there is a dark back ground. The film has been very consistent and pretty resistant to scratches. I have shot it in my RB67 and M645 and have never had the tape break (10rolls total). For the money it is a fun film to play with, some times I load a roll in my oldest RB film back. I develop it is D76.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin