Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,300   Online: 884

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    You can probably gauge a film with only a couple of rolls, if you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't. So you pick a film you like, and then you copious amounts of it, and really learn it, and just when you think you really, really know it, the manufacturer will either:

a) discontinue it.
    b) reformulate it, so you need to start all over.
    c) change all the brand names so you don't know what is what.

:rolleyes:
    You know, I've never found it all that difficult to adjust when a manufacturer changes a film. When Kodak reformulated Tri-X and Plus-X a few years back, the changeover was no big deal. Development time for a given developer changed a little bit, but not enough so that if you used the old time it would have been bad. Then they reformulated TMY into TMY-2, and that changeover was just as easy. I did exactly what I was doing with the old TMY, and got better results.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting. I have both TMY and TMY-2 in 35mm, and there is a subtle difference in sharpness and grain, but the difference is so small I really don't notice much difference in 6x8" or 9x12" prints. And processing is, for me, exactly the same with both.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    You know, I've never found it all that difficult to adjust when a manufacturer changes a film. When Kodak reformulated Tri-X and Plus-X a few years back, the changeover was no big deal. Development time for a given developer changed a little bit, but not enough so that if you used the old time it would have been bad. Then they reformulated TMY into TMY-2, and that changeover was just as easy. I did exactly what I was doing with the old TMY, and got better results.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pan F+ works beautifully in Rodinal 1+100 stand developed. You could also use 1+50. I have only used it for landscapes and initially struggled with the contrast and blown highlights. At higher dilutions Rodinal acts as a compensating developer. I think Barry Thornton recommended dilute 1+3 Perceptol which is also compensating.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin