Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,250   Online: 1095

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    We here see what all those who support advancements in technology lack
    All new technologies are not technological advancements.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with Nikanon. My interest in photography started in about 1975. I started developing and printing B&W in High School around 1976, moved to making Cibacrhome prints, and processing my own E4 then E6 slides. Moved to digital in about 2001, and in 2009 I got bit by the Analogue bug, started buying Franka Rolfix 6x9 folders, a Bronica ETRS system, and adding to my Nikon 35mm system, as well as establishing my own "wet" darkroom again. I can print up to 16x20, mat it, and dry mount it myself (thank God for Evilb@y and Craigslist).

One of my initial interests in photography was the fact that I could roll (film you guys) and load my own, study it, shoot it, develop it, print it and realize I had created something from start to finish. How many of our regular jobs offer the same sense of accomplishment? Personally, I am currently 47 with just over 20 years continuous service to the U.S. Army, and though I am frequently in the planning process of training events as well as deployment operations, I rarely get to see a project through from start to finish. I suspect that most people working a "regular job" assemble part of a widget, or initiate a project, or work on a project at certain points, but rarely get the opportunity to say "I made it myself".

My wife would say that this need to accomplish something on my own is a "control issue", but I have no idea what she is talking about...it is though she speaks a foreign language sometimes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You said it, brother!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ragtime Clown,

There is plenty of stuff to play with.

I forget where, maybe the large format site, but I saw someone "promoting the virtues of digital" and complaining that the reason good film cameras were cheap was that you could get 20-50 year old cameras that still worked well. :o

Well, as a famous animated dog once said, "if this is torture, chain me to the wall".

I use labs when I need things fast or simple, I do my own developing of film when I can, and my daughter is off to college at the end of August; in September, her room, becomes my room and it's going to get dark in there.

My point is that you can do as much or as little of the process in film as you want.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The difference is down to the quality of the experience. The easier photography becomes, the less of an experience it is. When you make a great print in the darkroom it exists because of decisions you made and problems you overcame, therefore the satisfaction and reward are greater.
    A great digital shot is down to someone else's efforts. Press a button, move a slider -get a peanut as reward. Digital photography is like a helicopter ride to the top of Everest; OK you got there, but where's the satisfaction? you didn't do it through your own efforts.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not even that, digital wont get you as far as film can, in terms of different films having different characteristic curves and capabilities with exposure. Basically with digital there is under, over and correct exposure, with film there is exposure and it can be correct to how you visualize based on techniques applied, filters used, development used and darkroom papers , toners, etc etc etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy, lots of good thoughts here!
    Two years ago I spent about the value of a cheap DSLR to re-do my darkroom. From what I see, film, paper and chemicals are all easily available, and probably will be for many years. Yes, I have to mail order them, but with the internet it's easy.
    Look at the availability of other art materials; oils, watercolors, brushes, papers, charcoal, and on and on. Better than it's ever been, and what's more out of date than painting. After all, it was predicted in the mid-1800's that photography would end painting. Sure is dying a slow death!
    If you like film - go for it!!!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To me film is the best of both worlds - print in the darkroom or scan negatives. Printing larger prints in the darkroom costs alot less than buying a large printer for the computer and large size archival digital papers are not cheap and then there are inks monitor calibration gagets and software. I have heard of people giving away their darkroom equipment just to get rid of it.
    Jeffreyg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeffrey;

I've never looked at it that way. You can shoot analog or digital with film. It seems so obvious, but I've never seen it that way.

It's really cool when you think about it; a digital sensor in a D3 will ALWAYS produce a 12MP file. But, a piece of 35mm film will only go up in resolution down the road, as scanners get better and better. It seems more future-proof to shoot film!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin