Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,425   Online: 813

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I'm not expecting the Adox-branded stuff to be available before 2011.

If Rollei respects Agfa's expiration dates, the last of the Rolliei stock should expire sometime in early 2011. According to FreeStyle Photo in the USA, there's quite a lot of the Rollei stuff still around.

I'm not sure if all the Rollei film will sold before it expires. In fact, you can *still* get Agfa-boxed Agfapan 400 from Adorama in 135.
    I think it would depend on how it was stored, if they froze it, they might be able to extend the dates by an extra year or two, although the real question is whether they even want to, the profit on it is likely microscopic at this point, and they will be able to get a better margin on the new coated stuff.

Question about Adox though, IIRC someone else owns the Adox name in Canada, any idea if it will be sold here, and under what name?
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,

Mirko, the chief of Fotoimpex, is a member here `adox-fotoimpex´. Ask him about that Canadian issue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Paul,

Mirko, the chief of Fotoimpex, is a member here `adox-fotoimpex´. Ask him about that Canadian issue.
    I will do so, I do hope we see these films here, often these kinds of films can be purchased from the US, with all the extra baggage, which that entails, it would be nice to have a domestic source.
    Paul Schmidt

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I'm not expecting the Adox-branded stuff to be available before 2011.

If Rollei respects Agfa's expiration dates, the last of the Rolliei stock should expire sometime in early 2011. According to FreeStyle Photo in the USA, there's quite a lot of the Rollei stuff still around.

I'm not sure if all the Rollei film will sold before it expires. In fact, you can *still* get Agfa-boxed Agfapan 400 from Adorama in 135.
    Film expiry is irrelevant when it has been kept uncut in cold storage. Film stored at -50C to -60C will last pretty much indefinitely prior to cutting (aside from a few high speed films)

Kodak have done this with their film stocks for many, many years. The last Technical Pan coating was done 8 years prior to its discontinuance... and this is just one example. Kodachrome is another film that hasn't been coated for quite a few years. We are now down to the final master rolls of film and thus it gets discontinued

The "AGFA" canned and boxed APX film has an expiry date of up to 2011 (5 years from production end). The Rollei film if it has been cut then it could be longer or shorter depending on the production date. If it's still sitting in deep freeze then we might be seeing fresh film for many years. I can't comment as to that as i simply don't know.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    Film expiry is irrelevant when it has been kept uncut in cold storage. Film stored at -50C to -60C will last pretty much indefinitely prior to cutting (aside from a few high speed films)

Kodak have done this with their film stocks for many, many years. The last Technical Pan coating was done 8 years prior to its discontinuance... and this is just one example. Kodachrome is another film that hasn't been coated for quite a few years. We are now down to the final master rolls of film and thus it gets discontinued

The "AGFA" canned and boxed APX film has an expiry date of up to 2011 (5 years from production end). The Rollei film if it has been cut then it could be longer or shorter depending on the production date. If it's still sitting in deep freeze then we might be seeing fresh film for many years. I can't comment as to that as i simply don't know.
    One of the problems though with that frozen film, is that they own it, and they own the equipment to make new film. Inventory that doesn't sell and machinery that is idle, are both bad. The cost of maintaining inventory increases with every day it sits unsold. The cost of maintaining that inventory frozen, simply means that it's cost is increasing at a higher rate. Machinery that is idle doesn't improve with age, in fact it often deteriorates faster then machinery that is operating, it still represents an investment that costs money to do nothing, especially if they purchased it with borrowed money.

Sales, where an item is reduced in price, started because someone had inventory that wasn't moving fast enough, so rather then continue to see costs of keeping that inventory increase, they reduced the price to give customers a deal to get rid of it.

I haven't seen it for sale here in Canada, would be nice to be able to get cheaper film, even just for a while.
    Paul Schmidt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpilz View Post
    My drugstore stells it at €1/36exp. I love the stuff, develop it in Rodinal stand or Ilfosol 3. Sharp, fine grained and amazing tonality. Perhaps my favourite 100 ISO film.
    Which drugstore is it? I'm visiting my daughter in the States in the coming weeks and would like to stock up. I love it in XTOL

Shooter
    35mm
    1) AgfaPhoto was the spin off of the consumer/professional photo division of Agfa. They went into liquidation and caused agfa products and trademarks to be scattered to the 4 winds.. You will note the agfaphoto packs have an orange dot rather then the orange diamond logo.

It is said that the agfaphoto folks made a large quantity of the APX 100 and 400 film before they closed and demolished the old west German agfa factory. That supply has been sold by various folks under various names ever since.

2) the remaining parts of AGFA are in belguim, and make industrial films.

3) The fellow behind "Frugal Photographer" had the brilliant Idea to register the ADOX trademark in Canada, but was beaten to the mark to register it in the USA. I am not positive who now owns it in the USA, I understand that the US registration was by the folks behind J and C photo, and when they went away, it was transfered to Photoimpex. Frugal Photographer can't use ADOX as they use a distribution contractor in the US to actually ship out their products, and so they have fallen back to using BLUEFIRE. The Canadian company is apparently even incorporated as "Adox Photowerke". Photoimpex owns the trademark in Germany which I think means thay can use it anywhere in europe for whatever they decide to sell. even the preverbial digital TV set. Since they are good Photo guys I am sure they will stick to photo products.

4) even if their is stock that is not cut in a frozen product storage facility, the expiry date would have to take into account the fog build up from radiation in the cosmos. Cutting and packaging does not start the clock on film expiry. that starts once the freshly coated stock comes off the dryer and is rolled up in master rolls.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    In the UK, Retro Photographic say there's lots of the Agfa branded stuff still left...

http://www.retrophotographic.com/

They currently have APX-100 in stock at a good price, but no APX-400 - that's common, as their stock of the two films seems to alternate. I've got a couple of hundred rolls in the freezer myself - APX-100 is one of my favourite films.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just bought some rollei retro 100 this week, which is the AGFA APX stuff - expiry 01/2011.
    I saw several online shops sell retro 100 (=APX) and retro 400s (not APX). Maybe the APX-100 stock is/was bigger than the APX-400 stock, or maybe they produce first a bunch of retro 100 rolls and then a bunch of retro 400 rolls...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APX 400 unlike APX25 & APX100 wasn't a new technology improved film compared to the earlier AP versions, but in the end Agfa renamed AP400 as APX400 in line with the rest of their B&W film range.

Unfortunately all stocks of APX100 ın 120 are long gone hopefully the 35mm stock wıll begın to dry up soonö then Mırko can begın re*coatıng ın all sızes

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin