Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,836   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Here in Brazil all I can find graded is Kodak grade 3, so no option besides VC paper for any other grade.

Price for VC is about 40% higher than graded...:evil:

I use red LED safelights, and no problem at all (tested). I would do a fog test with your new safelight.

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, Jorge. It looks the situation in Brasil is similar to the slovak state of things, give your carnevals asaid...

jk

Neal...
    Kodak OC is light amber and OA is greenish yellow, 10 is dark amber... this according to the Kodak Master Darkroom Guide dated 1968.
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happysnapper
    Neal...
    Kodak OC is light amber and OA is greenish yellow, 10 is dark amber... this according to the Kodak Master Darkroom Guide dated 1968.
    It was such a cheap no-brand safelight that they probably just cut up some orange colored plastic for filters. In those days, a real Kodak safelight would have eaten up about six months of my darkroom budget.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Few people these days in the UK use graded paper.
    Graded paper is still available but often expensive and only a few speacilist retailers stock it.
    Ilford MGIV and MG Warmtone are both very good papers, both RC and fiber versions.
    There seems to be a lot more paper coming into the UK from the east, particulary the fiber stuff just now. Forte seems to be popular over here but it's more expensive than the Ilford stuff! I've seen other Eastern European and Russian brands but I can't remember the names, some were VC and some were graded.

Oh make sure you have the correct VC filter set. Then enjoy being able to select half grades and combining different grades on one print.

Images
    I have experience with both Foma and Ilford papers, normal or multigrade (or variable contrast), as well as with what is and is not on stock in photo stores in Bratislava. If you like, send me an email and I can tell you some more details.

Regards,
    Kate

kate_mocak@zoznam.sk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Kate

I'm going to send you a mail. thanks

jk

Images
    I like both types of paper. Ever have a neg that part of it printed as you wanted on grade three but the rest prints great on grade 2? With VC paper you can print both grades on the same paper at the same time with a little practice.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    VC papers are much more likely to be fogged by a safelight. Red should be quite safe. But do a test. Expose a strip of paper so that it would give a uniform light grey. Then place coins on it and let it be exposed to the safelight only. Take one coin off every 2 minutes. Develop and fix paper. Ideally you will see no circles. You will probably see some. That indicates how much safelight exposure is ok.

Kodak has a detailed pdf on testing safelights.

Slightly unsafe safelights are responsible for some subtle disappointments in darkrooms.

I found that my orange LED safelight was not safe enough, and the Philips yellow-green was totally unsuitable (as you'd expect, really)

Shooter
    Large Format
    VC and graded papers each have their strong characteristics. VC has a lot of flexibility especially with dichroic type heads (whether color or VC). Graded papers seem to have a more robust tonal scale. That translates to deeper and fuller values; Greater richness in the print. Both can produce satisfying prints dependent on the photographers vision and ability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin