Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,753   Online: 920

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Today I stoped in the photo shop, and seller decieved me to try multigrade paper. I left the shop without a considerable amount of money, but with the new orange lamp filter, some filters to enlarger, an enermously expensive (compare to Foma paper) Ilford multigrade paper and a not only little chaos in my head.

Who of you is using multigrade paper? If not, why not? And if yes, any suggestion could be priceless.

thanks

JK

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Both the Foma and Ilford multigrade papers are very good but different in feel once printed. I would not panic! I'm not sure what your question is so you might try it then ask some specific questions. You can't really go wrong they're both great papers.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

multicontrast, or variable contrast, or multigrade paper allows you to use a specific halfgrade in contrast, rather than resorting to developer combinations to get a Grade "3 1/2" for instance.

More than that by dodging and burning, with different filtration, you can expose different parts of the paper at different contrast grades.

Finally many people use a "split-filtering" technique for printing on variable contrast papers. If you do a search of APUG for split filtering there have been several extensive threads on the subject.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Do not fear Jurajk. Multigrade paper is in very common use here in the USA. Iíve burned through several hundred sheets of Ilford multigrade, both regular and warm tone. Its one of the best available. Really, the debate between using graded paper or multigrade has become academic. Multigrade requires slightly different techniques, but the results being obtained are credible.

I donít have any idea about paper prices in Slovakia, but here, multigrade is usually less expensive than graded paper.

Good luck and hope you succeed.

If you simply think of it this way.... you have only to switch the variable filters when you want to change contrast of your print, not switch the entire box of paper. In other words, it is paper than can multitask. They work in the same manner as graded paper too (higher numbers mean higher contrast). The paper can take extended development as well, same as the graded stuff. You need to use the other safelight filter because the emulsion of the multigrade paper is somewhat susceptible to fogging under red light. Most manufacturers recommend an OC (yellow) filter on your safelight. This paper has become very widely used as mentioned here in the states, but you will need to adjust your printing to a touch to adapt to the possibilities with it... change can be a good thing now and then. Lots of folks here will give tons of help with this for you.
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happysnapper
    You need to use the other safelight filter because the emulsion of the multigrade paper is somewhat susceptible to fogging under red light. Most manufacturers recommend an OC (yellow) filter on your safelight.
    Not quite. The red filter is good for anything except panchromatic and infrared materials. The yellow light is recommended often because its easier to see in yellow light than red. Gotta be careful with it though, some VC papers will fog under a yellow safelight. I suspect you may have been hustled to get the safelight, unless the one you had before was getting old and leaky.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've never had trouble using a red safelight wih VC paper.

Gotta be careful when you say old and leaky around an old guy.... but I guess that depends.
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for your suggestions. that one about the fact, that in USA the multigrade is less expensive the grade paper is inetresting, consadering the fact all that talks about globalisation and global markets... :-) the situation here in Slovakia is absolutly oposit.

I've bought special multigrade lamp filter, some kind of orange, by seller that would be OK.

Thanks again.

JK

Images
    I remember and orange S.L. filter from long ago. Does anyone know if it has a Kodak Designation?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin