Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,133   Online: 1119

Shooter
    Large Format

Exposure/Development - Plus-X, Super XX, Tech Pan

I have three boxes of discontinued film and it is film which I have never used: Plus-X (100 sheets, 4x5); Super-XX (100 sheets, 4x5), Technical Pan (25 sheets, 8x10).

It is all outdated, of course, but it is in my fridge so is probably pretty good. Since I don't have a lot of it, I would like to maximize my returns. Normally, I develop with HC-110 in a Jobo CPE2, but I am open to suggestions with regard to developer and technique. If you have experience with these films, I would be happy to hear from you.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plus-X's traditional optimum developer was D-76 1:1. Note that Plus-X sheet film is different from the roll & 35mm variants. It is an 'all toe' film meant for portraiture - old style Hurrell portraiture with lots of highlights. Save it for snow scenes, sun on water, white sand, and platinum blondes with backlit hair.

Super-XX, well I never much cared for it, HC-110 would work as well as anything else.

Technical Pan should be done in Technidol. Technidol is hard to get hold of. POTA (which you have to mix yourself from Phenidone and S. Sulfite - it's one of the simplest and cheapest developers around) and Photographers' Formulary TD-3 (?) are the next best things. Some claim dilute Rodinal and HC-110 can be used with TechPan, well, heck so can Dektol. I advise against using standard developers with TechPan, the prints I have seen from these combinations don't stand up in my estimation. De gustibus non est disputandum. 8x10 TP should produce superb 9 x 11 foot prints.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    De gustibus non est disputandum. 8x10 TP should produce superb 9 x 11 foot prints.
    What`s wrong with 27"x33" foot-prints?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin