Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,421   Online: 1169

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the results are a serendipitous catastrophe.
    That is why I still hope that a company creates a commercial version of Caffeinol. It might sound snobnosed, but I don't like to mix my own chemistry, I just want consistant, reliable results.

Shooter
    35mm
    For me it is the opposite: I would not quickly buy a commercial caffeinol recipe...the reason I will try this development is the fun of home-cooking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    The problem with fixer isn't the active chemical, it's the silver it dissolves.
    good point. i suppose if i used my fixer 1 shot it would have very little silver in it ... unfortunately i am too broke to do something as smart as that!

Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    That is why I still hope that a company creates a commercial version of Caffeinol. It might sound snobnosed, but I don't like to mix my own chemistry, I just want consistant, reliable results.
    i have thought of filling one of my empty coffee bottles with all the ingredients mixed
    and seeing what my results are like. if i get something useful, i will let you know,
    and send you a premixed baby food container
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-29-2009 at 09:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    good point. i suppose if i used my fixer 1 shot it would have very little silver in it ... unfortunately i am too broke to do something as smart as that!

i have thought of filling one of my empty coffee bottles with all the ingredients mixed
    and seeing what my results are like. if i get something useful, i will let you know,
    I used to think the same way about fixer, while one shot contains very little silver, using your fixer over and over until it fails the clip test, then pouring it into a used chemistries jug which can be taken to the local household hazardous materials depot for disposal, several times per year, is the cheapest and most environmentally friendly way to deal with it.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    I used to think the same way about fixer, while one shot contains very little silver, using your fixer over and over until it fails the clip test, then pouring it into a used chemistries jug which can be taken to the local household hazardous materials depot for disposal, several times per year, is the cheapest and most environmentally friendly way to deal with it.
    i have my fixer, after exhausted and failing a clip test, go into a 20 gallon
    tank ( used to be 50gallon!), and my friendly waste hauler takes it away every few years
    we are pretty much on the same page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apropos of the clip test for fixer, you do know that the clip test can "pass" even though the fixer has "failed" or been exhausted?

You see, the fixer might be able to fix, but is so saturated with silver that when you go into the wash, silver salts can precipitate back out into the photomaterial. This is why a test for residual silver after the wash is important.

So, do not rely on any test of the fixer for exhaustion as being 100% reliable.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

This is my standard MO. I have a jar of mixed caffenol chems ready to go. When the mood hits me, I just add water, give a little stir, and I'm ready to go. Sometimes I add a shot of 10% Bromide solution as per Steve Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook. Because there is a bit of randomness in Caffenol results, it is difficult to see if this actually has any real effect on my prints, but it makes me feel like I'm actually doing something intelligent. (of course, just blindly throwing chemicals together makes me sound something of an idiot, now doesn't it? )

Speaking of randomness... I just had a thought... my Caffenol prints sometimes take on a swirly, blotchy look... almost fractal. http://tomoverton.images.googlepages...full;init:.jpg
    I wonder if there isn't a little bit of chaos theory mechanics involved as the chemistry goes to work on the latent image on the paper. Like I said, just a thought.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did this a while back with good results. At the time I read the addition of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is to give a speed increase. This makes sense as the roll of 100 I processed without Vit C had to be rated at 25.
    My advice to anyone trying this for the first time would be to make a range of exposures up to 2 or 3 stops more light than required by box speed, e.g for 100 iso film take a frame at 100 iso, next at 50 iso, next at 25 iso & one at 12 iso for luck. I would do that for every scene on the roll, it can be valuable info.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Speaking of randomness...
    That is exactly the point: at this time this dev is for people who like to experiment, for die-hard darkroom experts, for chemists, but not for the average user who does not want to risk his wedding shots. A guaranteed, consistent quality is what people need for imprtant photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    That is exactly the point: at this time this dev is for people who like to experiment, for die-hard darkroom experts, for chemists, but not for the average user who does not want to risk his wedding shots. A guaranteed, consistent quality is what people need for imprtant photos.
    And this is why I use Caffenol for my prints and not my negs. While I would hate to ruin a whole roll of film if a batch of Caffenol didn't work out, I have no problem risking a few pieces of paper. If a session goes sour, I still have my negs in their original state to try again another day.

Chers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin