Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,610   Online: 891

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film base & potential 35mm camera damage

With a growing number of alternative 35mm films now being marketed on Polyester film base just how safe are they for conventional still camera use.

On last years Ilford factory tour the Chairman, Howard Hopwood made it clear that under no circumstances would the company supply 35mm camera film on a Polyester base again. He pointed out that prior to his joining the company Ilford had been making & selling special 72ex 35mm film on a thin polyester base, while he didn't say the full extent of the problem the films was withdrawn, some cameras were damaged.

He also pointed out that no major manufacturer used polyester film base for 35mm film.

Acetate film will tear if there's a film transport problem, usually at the sprocket holes, but Polyester is too strong and damage can occur to the transport/wind mechanism, potentially worse with a high speed motor drive.

Are the manufacturers selling us film on Polyester base irresposnsible ?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a valid debate, but I'm not sure to what degree it's a pratical problem. For a manually operated camera, you have to force the mechanism seriously hard to tear the sprocket holes on acetate films. Hopefully, most people would stop and try to figure out what's wrong. For a motor driven camera, the motor stops at the end of the roll when it senses the resistance, this is part of its normal operation. I'm guessing most motor drives would do the same with a jam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm obviously biased, since I don't own any cams with automated load/advance mechanisms, or motor drives, I guess I'm just glad they are still producing film, period.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Raise your hand if you've ever had a camera damaged by polyester film, I guess. It's not something I've encountered personally, but I'm interested to see under what exact circumstances it could happen. The only problem I've found with polyester based film is that you cant rip it when you're fussing about in the dark and cant find the damn scissors.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have only seen motion picture cameras severly damaged by polyester film support. Generally, the motor jams in a regular camera due to the slow speed and low torque. This still will damage a small camera though, but I've never seen nor heard of it.

Imagine what a jam will do to a coating machine moving at high speed! Now that I have heard of.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

Imagine what a jam will do to a coating machine moving at high speed! Now that I have heard of.

PE
    That sounds like some serious problem for the manufacturer; Big time and economic losses. I don't think it's easy to repair those huge machines.

A negative characteristic of polyester I've heard of, is that light can pass through the film, and it exposes some of the first exposures. Acetate doesn't.
    Something like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/medienfrech/2295667811/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One reason we've not heard about damage to 35mm cameras recently is there were virtually no polyester based conventional 35mm films available, since Ilford withdrew the 72ex film.

For commercial film making taking stock is acetate based, print film is usually Polyestr based. That goes for most manufacturers even Orwo/Filmotec.

Problems are likely to occur with older cameras where transport mechanisms are worn, and also less well made camera's, but they will happen and it may well be that the photographers don't appreciate that the film base contributed to the problem.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    That sounds like some serious problem for the manufacturer; Big time and economic losses. I don't think it's easy to repair those huge machines.

A negative characteristic of polyester I've heard of, is that light can pass through the film, and it exposes some of the first exposures. Acetate doesn't.
    Something like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/medienfrech/2295667811/
    This is due to the lack of an attenuating material in the film support. Kodak and others use dyes or carbon suspended in the support matrix to attenuate light and prevent piping lengthwise.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Another reason to avoid Rollei films (the polyester base)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Another reason to avoid Rollei films (the polyester base)...
    The company does need to address the issue.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin