Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,653   Online: 1102
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    829
    Images
    7
    I've mixed up several formulas in the past. The can vary a great deal, some use quite exotic and difficult to obtain developing agents. I tended to stick with the simpler formula and consequently got less than exciting results some times.

    Remember 'Lith' development at one time meant films and prints for lithographic use, line and screen - a developer just needs to be capable of giving very high contrast to get classified as a Lith developer in some of the old books and formulary.

    These days we use very dilute developers high contrast on certain papers to give us lots of lovely colours etc. That is almost the opposite of the original intension. Consequently, not all of the old Lith formulas do this trick equally well.

    I used to make up ID-13. Because it was easy, not because it was particularly good:

    Solution A

    Warm Water 750 ml

    Hydroquinone 25.0g

    Potassium Metabisulphite 25.0g

    Potassium Bromide 25.0g

    Cold water to make 1.0 L

    Solution B

    Cold Water 1 L

    Sodium Hydroxide 50 g

    Be very careful with the Hydroxide, it is nasty stuff. Always sprinkle the Hydroxide into the cold water, not the other way around!

    This does work , I've used it with Kentona with reasonable success. I reckon there are better formulas, but with difficult to source ingredients.
    Steve

  2. #12
    mrtoml's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    546
    Images
    57
    I use SE5 almost exclusively. It gives you a lot of control with the various additives. I have some examples with various different combinations here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alt-dig...7605319016659/

    But as people have said you can get a wide variety of effects by changing dilution/old brown and paper type with just one developer.
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,684

    An Addition to My Post 8 This Thread

    Purely by chance I concocted a lith developer.
    I was experimenting with a low sulfite hydroquinone
    brew powered by sodium carbonate. After several
    minutes of development the print's muddy look
    quickly disappeared as contrast increased. I'd
    read of print lith development so realized
    I had with no intention concocted one.

    I checked a couple of remaining bottles of the brew
    and found the ratio of ingredients to be 1:4, hydroquinone
    to sodium sulfite. I don't recall the amount of carbonate.
    That last ingredient was added at time of dilution. I've
    the records buried somewhere.

    The lith developer, as with all the chemistry I use, was
    used one-shot. Times ran 8 to 12 minutes.

    To experiment I suggest for starters: in grams, 2, 8, 8.
    One liter. All the usual lith rules apply. If Graded papers
    with their high level of safe lighting are used, seeing the
    snatch point is easy. I would ordinarily process 3 or 4
    8x10s with 1 liter of chemistry. All one-shot. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin