Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,483   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Tell us about the darkroom, is it a separate room from the rest of the house or is it hooked into the hvac of the house? I put a very small window ac in the darkroom wall and sealed up around it really well when I had problems like that.
    My darkroom is in a second floor spare bedroom/guest room. House has central air, with the thermostat set for 76 and higher. The thermostat is downstairs, so by the time downstairs reaches above 76, up stairs could be in the high 78-82 degree range.

Can't possibly run the air 24/7, or set it lower than 76 as electric bills are high here in the "Garden State" as I am sure as is every where else.

Yes, I know I should at least refrigerate the paper (freezing would be better).

I would assume that when say Agfa was shipping its paper to the US, it was most likely in a "hot cargo hold on a ship" rather than in an Air Conditioned environment.... likewise in a camera store, I'm sure that the air is not running 24/7, so things could get hot in there too.

So without being redundant... again anyone know what the safest/highest temp would be for storing paper, before it goes bad.

Once again, thanks in advance

(As for tossing the meat out of the freezer, my wife said, "Are you ******* crazy")

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just north of you on Vancouver Island we are having the same heat wave. My situation is a twin of yours - darkroom above the garage. I got up at 5 this morning to do some darkroom work. It was 80F in there still. Yesterday afternoon - when I tried to get a bit done it was over 100. I've put all my paper in the freezer, and would like to climb in myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bit the bullet and put in an ac unit up there. When the temp was over 95 today I just figured it was time to knock it down some. By the time I got it in I looked like I just jumped in a swimming pool. I did similar to Sly and pulled my paper out yesterday. From Vancouver Island down to Portland it's record breaking.

My advise is stay inside, stay cool, and drink water, lots of water.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am hanging out in my basement darkroom in Portland. 77 down here and 90 on the ground floor. 105 outside. Who can function like this? I guess be thankful we are not wearing full battle gear in Iraq or living in Arizona where they don't have Indian Summer, they have idiot Summer.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My ac unit isn't cooling down the area very well so I'm going up at midnight and putting some black plastic up to localize the cooling to the darkroom and window. At 105 I brought down my developer and fix. I've never seen anything like this here. Dennis it makes me want to move the darkroom to the first floor.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, Curt. I'm a hundred miles north, and it's a little better. It feels like the humidity is down, though.

Ira, I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question, what is the temp limit before the papers go bad. I believe it is extremes of humidity rather than temperatures that really do the damage, and I have seen notations on data sheets mentioning changes in "characteristics" of a paper with extreme humidity. Never seen temperature mentioned.

Something to consider, if you plan on putting paper in a fridge/freezer to save it from a hot, humid environment, and that is condensation. Whatever moisture went in as vapor will become liquid as it cools. That is not a good thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm keeping the paper and chemicals in the house now which is in the low 70's. Lake Stevens just East of me is 105 degrees now that's hot. There's going to be some records broken and some new all time ones created.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    My ac unit isn't cooling down the area very well so I'm going up at midnight and putting some black plastic up to localize the cooling to the darkroom and window. At 105 I brought down my developer and fix. I've never seen anything like this here. Dennis it makes me want to move the darkroom to the first floor.
    Wanna trade, we have had exactly 1 day where it's been above about 80 all summer, along with we have had so much rain, a road near here collapsed, and there has been localized flooding.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul believe it or not we had a flash flood warning an hour ago. In Texas the roads are melting under tires and feet. Plenty of misery to go around these days.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, tell you what Ontario, we've had enough of summer now, you can have it back!

I heard that one of the records broken today was in Inuvik - 29C today (what's that?... 90F?). Inuvik is on the Arctic Ocean.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin