Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 750

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Heat related darkroom issues

It's hotter than usual in our area and the darkroom is going from mid to high 90's in the daytime. It's been a couple of day of that and I'm beginning to get pressed to do something about it other than remove the lenses and paper from there which I've done.

The main question is how much can my chemistry stand of this high temperature? My apologies if this has been covered before. Thanks.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The chemistry should be OK if in full well stoppered bottles. Just allow to return to working temp slowly.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tell us about the darkroom, is it a separate room from the rest of the house or is it hooked into the hvac of the house? I put a very small window ac in the darkroom wall and sealed up around it really well when I had problems like that.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    It's hotter than usual in our area and the darkroom is going from mid to high 90's in the daytime. It's been a couple of day of that and I'm beginning to get pressed to do something about it other than remove the lenses and paper from there which I've done.

The main question is how much can my chemistry stand of this high temperature? My apologies if this has been covered before. Thanks.
    Here in New Jersey, it too is likewise hotter than normal....

Regarding paper ... anyone know what is the "highest safest" temperature it can be stored, before I begin to panic and start tossing the meat out of the freezer to make room for the paper...

Thanks in advance (and likewise, my apologies if this has been covered before)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom is in the second story of my garage building, a separate building from the house. The first floor is garage and shop with storage, the second floor is a large space with a 12 foot vaulted ceiling. The darkroom is a room up there with a door into the open space. Eventually it will be a nice studio space to relax with abundant wall space for photos. The problem is it is not occupied that much right now and the darkroom is a room within a room. I don't have the large room finished.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like it would be a candidate for a small ac if you didn't mind the power cost. I'd be putting insulation in all around as much as possible to reduce the demands.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hot hear in LA also,bought a used frig. and a air conditioner last year and I am enjoying it now. Don't run the air unless I'm in the darkroom ,papers are in frig. full time,the chems are on there own but no problem so far with them.

Mike C
    Last edited by mike c; 07-28-2009 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grmmer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've acquired an ac unit from the local costco. It has kept me right in line at 70F. It shows on the power bill but I can't go moving my paper out, at least not yet.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom, which is a large spare bathroom, is in the mid to high 80's with the AC on during the day. The mixed chemicals seem fine so far this summer. I develop film and print at night when I can get the temp down to around 78.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I checked the weather report and for Seattle it's expected to be 101 to 103 and that breaks an all time record. I may have to bring the fixer and chemicals in the house from the darkroom until it cools off a bit. I have an ac unit for the darkroom now but setting it up now would be difficult. And just when I had the darkroom heating solved. There is no lawn to mow, it stopped growing. The plant I was going to photograph is fully bloomed but it's going to be a rush to get setup in this heat. I was going for an 8x10 but it might turn out to be an RB 67 instead. Best of luck to all of you out there in the heat from New Jersey to San Diego I feel for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin