Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,596   Online: 862

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pyro-Uno

Images
    BTW, I found on www.unblinkingeye.com a very simple pyro developer by some nut named Gainer. Must be my alter-ego. It' 7 grams of pyrogallol dissolved in 100 ml TEA, heated to drive out water. That's it. Dilute 1+50 or so and develop 10 or 15 minutes for starters. I'm out of pyro and can't order more until payday.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    I found enough pyro to make a batch. You'd be surprised at how good such a simple developer can be. In a sense, it is older by far than this old man, being closely related to the Pyro-Soda developer which Hurter and Driffield admired. Soda, of course, is sodium carbonate. Here's a sample of FP4+, 1+50, 77 F. (It's warm in there.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FP4 PYRO-TEA 8M77F.jpg  
    Gadget Gainer

Gainer....you can only imagine what TEA would weigh after a few hours in Florida:}.

Ed

Also many thanks from this end Sandy. The comparisons with D76 will really be interesting.

Perhaps you and Gainer should develop a kit form of Pyro-Uno and sell such!?

What precautions do you use when weighing and using the Pyrogallol?

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Also many thanks from this end Sandy. The comparisons with D76 will really be interesting.

Perhaps you and Gainer should develop a kit form of Pyro-Uno and sell such!?

What precautions do you use when weighing and using the Pyrogallol?

Ed

Ed,

First, about the precautions. I wear a mask and make sure that any powder that might get in to the air will go downwind from me.

Second, the amount of useful practical information Gadget has shared with our community about formulating developers for films and papers is nothing short of amazing. And in large measure, the information he has shared has been empirical data, which I find to be the most useful.

I had hoped to get out today and do some exposures for comparison testing of Pyro-Uno with D76 1:1. Unfortunately, the transmission on my old Nissan Pathfinder is causing problem and won't allow me to back up. For that reason the Pathfinder is now in the hands of a local mechanic, who to this point (three days and running) has not been able to identify the source of the problem. So here I am, stranded at home and at the mercy of my wife who has a fully operational vehicle.

Sandy

Images
    I worked for 30 years for NASA, retired in 1982, and am still being paid. What I did with NASA was for the good of the country and made me feel happy as well as well fed. I am in a different field in one way, but in the same field in another. I'm addicted to solving problems, some of which didn't exist before I solved them. Solving a problem, making something worth doing easier to do, hearing "Thank you", especially from my 2 1/2 year old great grand daughter, are things that keep me alive. I'm sure I'm not alone among APUGers in that respect. You know that Sandy is one of us. This is the place to tell what you know as well as what you don't know but would like to.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well put Pat.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    I'm attaching the figure from the Dow specs.
    I usually keep the top screwed tight on my TEA. Dow don't have a timeline on the graph. As in photography, exposure time is important.
    Now that you've given us a new and better way to make pyrocat-MC without TEA maybe PyroUno will remain a curiosity? :-)
    Seeing as how Sandy King has been so good as to gather and collate his formulae perhaps we can sweet-talk you into doing the same? Please?
    Over the years the various brews you've given us have morphed and it can be a little confusing reading 5 or 10 year old google finds that aren't current.
    Don't forget the PC-Borax along with the PC-TEA etc.
    Just hoping.
    Murray

Images
    Don't forget that catechol and pyrogallol give different stain colors. There are times when that makes little difference, but there are times when one color is greatly to be desired over the other, and to be able to choose the desired color without a complete change of development procedure would be a good thing. I don't think Pyro Uno should remain a curiosity. When Sandy is through with its "development" it will be a well documented system as parallel to the Pyrocat series as possible.

I do not wish to compete with anyone. Argue, yes, if it's a civil philosophical argument, but for the purpose of seeking knowledge, not ascendency.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The shelf life of a stock solution mixed in TEA should be at least 2-3 years unless the solution is contaminated. The same is true of stock solutions mixed in glycol. This is because because the solutions do not oxidize as they might if mixed in water.

Some people have suggested that such solutions might last for decades. I have some doubts about this because all of the solutions I have mixed in TEA, including Gainer's original PC-TEA, have strongly discolored after three or four years. I also have a small container of another single solution pyro developer that I mixed in TEA several years ago and the color, which was very clear on mixing, has also strongly discolored in the three or four years since I mixed it. I don't know the cause of the discoloration but tend to believe it is caused by oxidation.

Sandy
    Speaking about oxidation, I made recently an unexpected finding which bothers me. About three months ago I mixed 510-pyro developer, it's in TEA as you know. To reduce viscosity I mixed the ready developer with propylene glycol 1+1. Originally the solution had a pale color. After mixing the solution was divided in two parts. Within the first week I developed some films with it and they came out fine. Since then the developer has been undisturbed on the shelve in my darkroom, in well capped glass bottle, about 100ml solution in a 250 ml bottle. A couple of weeks later I noticed that the solution had begun to darken, starting from the surface and proceeding deeper. Now it's all dark but still the solution is darker on the surface than in the bottom. To me it looks like airborne oxidation, but it started much earlier than I would have expected. The other part of the developer was used by another person, who recently reported that his developer also had dark color but still functions as well as earlier, but the "life expectancy" of this developer is not very good.

I have to admit that my pyrogallol is several years old, but it still looks good, almost white, a little sticky powder. All other chemicals are fresh. Any ideas why the solution oxidized so fast? Could there be a problem in mixing TEA and glycol?

Olli

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin