Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,562   Online: 983

Shooter
    35mm

My college's bookstore is now selling Kodak film and chemicals

I work at the bookstore at the college I attend. Today, I stocked the photo supplies shelf with 20 rolls of T-Max 100, two full boxes of T-Max developer, and some Kodak Rapid Fixer. The invoice from the last shipment of books and supplies shows that there's still 80 more rolls of T-Max 100 and 100 rolls of T-max 400. I didnt see the whole invoice. I just glanced at it as I was picking up more boxes of stuff to put on the shelves. I'm assuming we have some Kodak stop bath and some photo flow in this shipment or maybe coming in the next shipment.

I've never used T-Max, but I have used Delta 100 and 400. I didnt care too much for the Delta, so I'm assuming I wont be a fan of T-Max. It's not a bad film. I'm just used to HP5+.

With a price of $3.89 a roll, I might buy a few rolls to play with. If I count shipping from Freestyle, I'm probably paying at least that much for my HP5+ anyway ($3.49/roll + shipping), so I'm not really losing anything.

Hopefully the new and more experienced photography students at my school will appreciate the Kodak products (Actually they'll probably bitch to me about how the film costs about $0.80 more a roll :/)

Edit: Stupid me forgot to mention that we're replacing the Arista EDU film and Arista chemicals with the Kodak products.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

That's not a bad price for TMX film. With which college is this bookstore associated?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That great!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least it's good news!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

That's not a bad price for TMX film. With which college is this bookstore associated?
    Calhoun Community College in Decatur, Alabama.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    At least it's good news!

Jeff
    it's good news For T-Max users

I actually saw the rest of the photo chemicals this morning. We have Ilford paper developer and the Edwal photo-flo (or whatever they call their photo-flo )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would be AMAZING if they started to sell slide fillm
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMX can be an acquired taste, but I like the stuff. It's incredibly fine grained and I like the tonal range. But if you are used to using a 400 speed film, then try some TMY-2 if you get it in. Fantastic stuff.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    It would be AMAZING if they started to sell slide fillm

That would be pretty cool. We do have a color class every fall where we do our own color processing and printing. We dont sell color film or chemicals right now, and I doubt we will any time in the near future.

When I took the class, we pretty much bought all Kodak Ultramax film from Wal-Mart and our slides, paper, and chemicals from the local photo store. Unfortunately, the market for color home processing kits is so small that it doesnt make sense for the bookstore and the photo store to carry the chemicals. Even the local photo store is considering not selling the chemistry any more after they run out of kits (and they probably have by now).

the class is only offered in the fall, and the class is pretty small, too. I think there was like 13 people in the class when I took it. 15 at the most :/ I dont think having enough color film (slides or negs) and the paper and chemicals will be profitable enough to be worth stocking.

Stocking name brand film and chemistry in our bookstore might be a good sign for film, though. They've stocked Arista film and chemistry for the last three years at least, and probably years before that (I've only been around for three years). Perhaps the use of film has increased enough to justify buying Kodak and Ilford film and chemistry. I'm sure, though, that we bought Kodak and Ilford products because Calumet gave us a good deal on it if we bought it in bulk. I guess it's also possible that the increase in the amount of students attending the college (and thus spending more money on books at the bookstore) allowed us to splurge on art supplies

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin