Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,045   Online: 831

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks to all! My first roll of home-dev is done.

I have spent the past two weeks reading extensively on photo.net, APUG, and flickr. Thanks to posts dating back literally 10 years (in the case of greenspun.net cum photo.net) and especially to wonderful individuals like J. Brunner of APUG, I developed my very first roll of B&W this weekend.

It went off without a hitch. Delta 400 in HC-110 B for 6 minutes at 71 deg F. I was loaned/gifted all materials ; the local photo shop gave me a bottle of HC-110 which expired in 2008. My total outlay was about $5 for a roll of film and $8 for a bottle of Photo-Flo (supported my local shop).

Here is a gallery; keep in mind when I scanned on Sunday I didn't know how to control the white point in Vuescan (I do now), so now I am getting much better scans straight out of the scanner. Some of theh files in the gallery have had levels tweaked, and others not. Overall I think I got some good PRINTABLE (I am not printing -- yet ) negatives which scanned well and had good dynamic range, with good shadow detail and no blown highlights. I am very pleased with the sharpness and grain as well:

Gallery:
    http://blachly.org/james/delta400-1

Thanks again to everyone who has posted over the years -- you don't know how far in the future someone may read your post and gain that one interesting tidbit to fill in the gaps.

James
    (also my first post to APUG)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome - and congratulations! Isn't film fun? Developing it yourself is pretty cool.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Gim

The whole process is pretty cool, eh. Welcome to APUG.
    Best,
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say you've done quite well, much better than I did many years ago when I started. Of course, there was no internet back then. My family's house phone was a party line, and color television didn't exist. All I had was a little cheat sheet and some skimpy instructions from Uncle Louie.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The dog jumping off the dock is very Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Way to go, James. Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    James:

Well done.

I particularly like the photo of the older woman and the baby (grandmother and grandchild?). The expressions are joyful, and in terms of technique, the highlight details and gradation appear excellent.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey James - the sharpness and grain look great (in the detail image) for that film and developer, and for my money a fine combination / look to begin working.
    The printing will tell you about development time and contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the dark side and congratulations.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin