Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,748   Online: 805
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48
  1. #21
    Curt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,527
    Images
    15
    12x16 is a far more practical size, particularly as cut in half 8x12 is perfect for 35mm negs.
    I agree with it's use for 64.5 as someone already stated.

    Jerold what size will you be enlarging your 8x10 negatives to from the Wehman camera?

    Now 5x7 and 11x14 gives 10x14 which is fine for me.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

  2. #22
    jeroldharter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,958
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Jerold what size will you be enlarging your 8x10 negatives to from the Wehman camera?
    My standard paper with my 4x5 camera is 11x14 with border to suit the image.

    I think my standard for 8x10 will be 8x10 contact prints or 16x20 enlargements with borders. The 8x10 stuff is a work in progress.
    Jerold Harter MD

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    151
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Unfortunately, A4 is too long to be usable in North American offices - it doesn't fit in our binders, it doesn't fit in our file folders and it doesn't fit in many of our file cabinets.
    Sorry, not true. A4 fits in Canadian file folders and cabinets. Legal doesn't. Unfortunately, Canadians prefer to hang on to old fashioned and unpractical standards than to change to modern world standards like ISO 216 and SI units.

    But let's stick to photography here and while A4 and A3 fitt well with 2:3 (35mm) negatives, I can see that it doesn't with a 3:4 or 4:5 negative. In that sense paper manufacturers can't satify everybody. Still, as a 35mm shooter I would like to see A4 and/or 12x16in photo paper here.

  4. #24
    Tony Egan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,122
    Images
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Proofing contact sheets or enlarged single negatives?

    Tom
    Everything up to 8x10. But I was mainly thinking of contact sheets for 35mm and 120 negs. Approx. same size as the negative protectors and fit neatly in A4 binders.

  5. #25
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,161
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    What size mats do you use for this when framing?

    Assuming an 11x15 image size and open borders of ~3/8 all around, that is starting to get tight on a 16x20 mat board. If you go up to 20x24 matboard, you greatly increase the cost of framing. For that reason, I like 11x14 paper (with a 10x13 image) on 16x20 matboard which is much more economical for framing.
    I'm matting & framing 20x16, my actual print area is around 12" x9½" but that can vary as I shoot different formats.

    Ian

  6. #26
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    11,996
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    Sorry, not true. A4 fits in Canadian file folders and cabinets. Legal doesn't. Unfortunately, Canadians prefer to hang on to old fashioned and unpractical standards than to change to modern world standards like ISO 216 and SI units.
    Sadly, more true than you think spijker.

    Part of the problem is that even the file sizes aren't standardized - I have file folders that are two millimetres too short for A4, and file cabinets that just barely hold those small file folders.

    It's the binders that drive me crazy though.

    I also have a small A4 file cabinet - and cannot easily get hangers for it

    Matt

  7. #27
    cmacd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stittsville, Ontario
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sadly, more true than you think spijker.
    Part of the problem is that even the file sizes aren't standardized - I have file folders that are two millimetres too short for A4, and file cabinets that just barely hold those small file folders.
    A lot of the supplies sold in Canada are designed for the entire North American market, and so suit US tastes. When the big push came for metrification, the metric commission was a bit too pushy and got a push back. I still remember the oposition party setting up at a gas station just outside Ottawa, as "freedom to measure" and selling Gas by the (Imperial) gallon.

    The end result is a lot of industries have only gotten to "soft conversion" even after all these years, just look in the food store and see how many things are sold in 454g packages.

    Unfortunately with NAFTA, most products have to be compatible with expectations south of the St Lawrence river, and so we are likely to be in that state until Obama takes up the cause of standardization in his second term.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

  8. #28
    cmacd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stittsville, Ontario
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    I still buy RC glossy locally in 9.5x12 for proofing.
    I am hoping to try that one day. Ilfordstore Canada had some on their site so I ordered a package, they in turn order from the Canadian Distributor, who has been on backorder, I am supposed to get it in August. I don't blame Ilfordstore in the least, they provided excellent service for their part of the deal and the items the Canadian distributor had in stock we here in 3 days.

    In the meantime, I started cutting down some 11X14 to 11X 9.5 and found it was big enough for a proof sheet, and I hope that I can find a use for the sheets of 4.5 by 5.5 I have left over. (figured they would store better and be more likely to be used than 4.5 by 11)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    876
    The OP asked about the availability of 11x14 paper. While not for enlarging, Michael Smith is having his Lodima paper cut to 11x14. The details are available at www.michaelandpaula.com
    John Bowen

  10. #30
    wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    A lot of the supplies sold in Canada are designed for the entire North American market, and so suit US tastes. When the big push came for metrification, the metric commission was a bit too pushy and got a push back. I still remember the oposition party setting up at a gas station just outside Ottawa, as "freedom to measure" and selling Gas by the (Imperial) gallon.

    The end result is a lot of industries have only gotten to "soft conversion" even after all these years, just look in the food store and see how many things are sold in 454g packages.

    Unfortunately with NAFTA, most products have to be compatible with expectations south of the St Lawrence river, and so we are likely to be in that state until Obama takes up the cause of standardization in his second term.
    What they should have done was invent a couple of intermediary measurements, like the metric pound which is ½kg, considering that it's a mere 46g more then an imperial pound, it would make sense. The UK would have had fewer problems with a metric pint (½L) and a metric gallon (4L). Some like the mile really are not metric equivalent, although having seen signs in the US of something being ⅞ of a mile away makes me wonder if anybody really knows how far that is, considering that odometers are in 10ths.

    I don't think the US will ever change, the American measure is too ingrained into their society, it's one of the trinity of American beliefs along with the flag and dollar. I think you would have an easier time abolishing the president, senate and congress and replacing them with a despot.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

    The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin