Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 901

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Put your thinking cap on. 11x14 commonly turns into a 12x16 discussion and from there we go to US vs Europe sizes, etc.

In regards to the toothpaste example previously given - don't they already have to state the volume right on the container? I realize it's not the same as pre-expected volumes, but surely the calculation is easy (vol/price).

I know this is a somewhat naive question, but what are milk bags? Do they distribute the milk in bags rather than cartons? That's seems like a good idea and we should consider that in America as well. Packaging is a huge amount of waste. One thing I question is plastic vs recycled paper, however (bag vs carton). Although the larger sizes still use plastic.
    Milk bags are thin plastic bags, that contain milk, typically 4L comes in a plastic bag containing 3 bags, there is a plastic pitcher that is made so that a bag fits inside. This replaced the old glass jug that was heavy and needed to be transported back to the dairy for washing and sterilizing. The biggest problem being that they were heavy and fragile, not a good combination. The bags are not perfect either, when first opened they sometimes need a hand to keep them from flopping over.

I sometimes wonder if a good way to package liquid developers, would be similar, except with a stiff cardboard outer box, to protect the bag from puncture. Add a plastic seal where you screw in an optional small tap. Open the tap to remove the contents, the plastic bag then shrinks so that no air gets inside. The cardboard and plastic are made recyclable.
    Last edited by wogster; 08-03-2009 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fingers operating faster then brain cells
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    I sometimes wonder if a good way to package liquid developers, would be similar, except with a stiff cardboard outer box, to protect the bag from puncture. Add a plastic seal where you screw in an optional small tap. Open the tap to remove the contents, the plastic bag then shrinks so that no air gets inside. The cardboard and plastic are made recyclable.
    I believe that's what a standard US milk carton is today. Recycled pulp with wax or similar coating in the inside.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    The dutch maker Amaloco sold some paper developers and fixers in a system called "cubitainer", basically what many of you know as "bag-in-a-box" from the wine shop; a mylar bag in a carton box, the content is poured out, the bag shrinks and protects the liquid.

It wasn´t just Amaloco, another vanished brand "PAL" sold their chemistry from these cubitainers - in the early 1990s they placed them at their dealers, allowing the customer to bring their own bottles and get only what their need.

AFAIK Peter Loeffler refrained from continuing the cubitainer when he restarted Amaloco earlier this year. But you could get your own empty b-i-b -they are sold everywhere-, fill it with your favourite brand of developer and drain it over the next months.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr View Post
    The dutch maker Amaloco sold some paper developers and fixers in a system called "cubitainer", basically what many of you know as "bag-in-a-box" from the wine shop; a mylar bag in a carton box, the content is poured out, the bag shrinks and protects the liquid.
    Cubitaner packaging is common for Large quantities of developer see for example http://www.freestylephoto.biz/6237-C...lon?cat_id=301 (or http://tinyurl.com/n6g8l3 if that split)

most of us don't buy our developer 19 liters at a time.

(off topic: The trick with the milk bags is to hit the pitcher with your fist on the bottom before you cut the corner off the bag. The bag will generally slide down a couple of centimetres which makes it less floppy)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cubetainers were common packaging for chemicals made by Kodak way back in the 60's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 3 bags for 4 liters of milk were introduced here in British Columbia several years ago with a bang. They never became very popular. You can still get them, but way more milk gets sold in 4 liter recyclable jugs.

Anyone have a source for a 3.75 liter cubitainer (for 3/4 of a batch of Xtol - I'd like to try replenishing a 1 1/4 liter container).

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's funny, back in Toronto pretty much everyone I knew bought their milk in the bags. Here in Nanaimo I don't think I've ever seen them! Only the 1L and 2L cartons, with 4L plastic jugs.

Regarding an earlier post, since when does Canada not use SI units? That's all I ever learned in school! The only reason I know how big an inch is is due to photography and helping my Dad with home projects as a kid. Strangely though, I know my weight in pounds and height in feet but not in kilograms or metres.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    most of us don't buy our developer 19 liters at a time.
    That´s why Amaloco came over with 5l Cubitainers.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin