Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,575   Posts: 1,545,710   Online: 739

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

11x14 - Which Companies Make This Size Paper?

After seeing another thread regarding the largest size print you make in your darkroom, I noticed quite a number of APUGers who print up to 11x14.

This size doesn't seem to be ultra popular here in Australia - I see some packs now and then at my local stores; the more common size seems to be 12x16.

I have some Fotospeed and am using my final sheets of Agfa paper, but I'd like to know who else produces this size and which brands you prefer.

I realise it's all personal preference, but I'm interested in everyone's opinion to give me some feedback on each brand and why you personally like Brand X over Brand Y and/or Z.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a read of the other threads - there are two. 11x14 is a US size, 12x16 is the UK/European size, Australia would usually import 12x16. 11x14 is rare in the UK/Europe. So all companies probably cut 1x14 specifically for the US market.

12x16 is a far more practical size, particularly as cut in half 8x12 is perfect for 35mm negs.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-29-2009 at 03:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I print 11 x 14 a lot and in my experience that size has never or rarely been available in Australia in the last 25 years. 9 1/2 x 12 and 12 x16 being the most common. I have imported all my 11 x 14 and have about 4 boxes of Agfa MCC 50s left in my stockpile and a few boxes of Ilford warmtone. The freight cost can be off-putting but once you work out the cost per sheet it's not a lot different to buying locally and can even be cheaper. It also pays to experiment with different quantities and where the clip levels are with freight. I usually save up and buy a reasonable amount and keep it in the fridge or freezer. Initially B&H but lately Freestyle in LA whose shipping time is amazing. Most recent order took only 3 days to arrive.

I am hoping the ADOX MCC replacement will be in good supply by the time I run out. Agfa MCC is my favourite of all the papers I have tried so if I can't get a similar replacement I will have to experiment more. Doing quite a bit of FOMA in 16x20 lately but I haven't quite mastered contrast control yet. The blacks "fall off a cliff" pretty fast in my experience and the middle is a bit bland and mushy (technical terms!!). For me, FOMA is not nearly as good as Agfa or Ilford but still working on getting the most out of it.
    I think Les Porter might have 11x14 RC Kentmere available but not 11x14 in FB. I have never used Kentmere so can't give an opinion on that paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish that every paper was available as 12x16 here. It would replace both 8x10 and 11x14 for me, as I would cut it in half if I needed 8x paper. The 3:4 ratio would also allow me to make maximum use of the paper area with my 6x4.5 negs. I will try some of the papers available from Freestyle soon, though I hate switching around a lot from my standards: Emaks, Oriental, and Ilford Warmtone.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Tony & generally buy 11x14 from Freestyle. Also agree with Ian that 12x16 is a very useful size. I like Emaks Varycon & Kentmere for RC & Ilford MGIV in FB. 9.5x12 is perfect for proofing but is stupidly expensive in Sydney & not stocked by Freestyle, so I trim 11x14 & have plenty of test strips. As far as print size goes I suppose everyone needs to try a few sizes & see what suits them. I do like 11x14 because it looks big compared to 8x10 but is easy to handle & store; of course I also just like the way the prints look on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point on the proofing Goldie. I still buy RC glossy locally in 9.5x12 for proofing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Good point on the proofing Goldie. I still buy RC glossy locally in 9.5x12 for proofing.
    Proofing contact sheets or enlarged single negatives?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, never realized that paper sizes were such geographicly varied items.

I too am driven nuts by the lack of 35mm ratio compatable papers here in the US. All of our papers here seem to be stuck on the 4:5 ratio of traditional large format cameras. Even worse; finding properly sized frames. As if 35mm does not stretch enlargements enough, the need to shoot loose and crop in the darkroom just makes it worse. And it is a tremendous waste of money cutting up all that paper!

Indeed 12x16 would be a very usefull size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Wow, never realized that paper sizes were such geographicly varied items.

I too am driven nuts by the lack of 35mm ratio compatable papers here in the US. All of our papers here seem to be stuck on the 4:5 ratio of traditional large format cameras. Even worse; finding properly sized frames. As if 35mm does not stretch enlargements enough, the need to shoot loose and crop in the darkroom just makes it worse. And it is a tremendous waste of money cutting up all that paper!

Indeed 12x16 would be a very usefull size.
    You don't "need" to shoot loose and crop. Just cut your own mats. It's cheap and easy. IMO, a 2:3 (or 3:4) pic looks just as good, if not better, in a 4:5 frame than a 4:5 pic does.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    What do you pay, about $90 for 50 sheets of Ilford? Compare it to what you can get in 11x14 RC from Freestyle & I reckon you'll find it a better deal, assuming you're ordering a few other items as well to even out the postage.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin